This recipe was interesting because you had to melt in a pan the 1 1/4 cups of white chocolate chips with 1/3 cup of water (Castella 80). You might think, like I did, that the recipe should call for milk to go with the chocolate, but I soon found out that the water was there to help the chocolate not burn against the sides of the pan. I don't think anyone wants burnt white chocolate chunks in their cupcake!
| Cupcakes going into the liners |
Once the cupcakes were cooled, I started on the frosting. This is where it gets complicated. I made white chocolate buttercream frosting, but once again I had to melt the white chocolate chips, but this time with "4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) of butter" (Castella 94). and "3 tablespoons of milk" (Castella 94). I added this mixture to the confectioner's sugar and vanilla. What made this so hard was that the white chocolate mixture was still warm, and the heat transferred over to the entire mixture. I didn't realize that I needed to let the mixture cool, so I frosted the cupcakes with warm frosting! Thank goodness that the frosting was thick, because otherwise, I would have had frosting running off the cupcakes!
Overall, the frosting tasted really good paired with the cupcakes, and stayed on the top of them, which is always a good sign!!
Have you ever had a time where you didn't realize you were doing something wrong until you had already done it?
| The final product-- frosting stayed on top!!! |
Castella, Krystina. Crazy about Cupcakes. New York: Sterling, 2006. Print.
Tara, I find it interesting that you would use water with chocolate, that just seems odd. I think it's amazing that you could do this because last time I made cupcakes, I didn't put in the right amount of an ingredient...oops...But yes, there has definitely been many times when I have done something wrong and not realized it until it was too late. One time, I was using my dad's scroll saw to cut out one of my friend's name and I was pressing to hard and I actually broke the blade, so that was definitely not good and, had I known I was doing it wrong, it would have saved a trip to the store to buy new blades and some money.It is good that when you messed up, it still worked out for you and wasn't a disaster!
ReplyDeleteThat doesn't sound good Anne! At least you are learning from your mistakes!
DeleteThis looks great! I love white chocolate ;) Did you find the recipe from your book? have you looked into others? Because I know sometimes people have different approaches to doing things!
ReplyDeleteThank you Taylor! I did find the recipe in my book, but have not looked into others. Krystina Castella has many recipes that are different than the average cupcake, but are still good.
Deleteone time when I was baking I was making cookies and I accidentally use salt instead of sugar, so I ended up putting 3/4 cups of sugar in my cookies. I didn't realize until I ate one when it came out of the oven.
ReplyDelete