Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Capturing Silhouettes

Throughout my reading I came across a subject that seemed really interesting so I decided to try it. The chapter titled Silhouetting for Shape, explains that the “blank shape of a silhouette can sometimes reveal more about the structure and character of a piece of architecture”(Beazley 26). A silhouette is created when the scene you are shooting has a light source behind it creating a black outline of the subject. To make sure I captured this effect I chose to take my photos while the sun set. Luckily for me I not only ended up with an example of a silhouette but I also was able to capture a great sunset.



While I was trying to capture this picture I learned that in order to get good results it's best that you take multiple pictures at different angles. With this in mind I focused more on the detail being shown in my picture and how it would exemplify the goal of getting a silhouette. Because of my method of taking pictures I was able to thoroughly express the the structure of the bridge while creating a photo that is pleasing to the eye. The book explains that "with the light behind the subject, cornices, guttering, architectural ornament and other details disappear in shadow, so that the buildings outline dominates the picture" (Beazley 26). Silhouettes are a great way to emphasize the shape of the subject, and to make sure there are not a lot of things distracting from the main focus. It gives you an easy way to make your picture look dramatic yet simple at the same time. In this particular picture i used leading lines to help bring the people's eyes all the way to the back of the picture, creating depth. The leading lines are represented by the street lights and by the fence outlining the edges of the bridge. Doing this shows that I actually thought about what I was capturing rather than just taking a quick snapshot of the scene. Overall I learned that there are simple ways to make your pictures look more professional  than it really is. With a few easy steps I was able to create an image that has impact and that shows the qualities of a true photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment