My first time diving in Oahu, Hawaii was fantastic. It was my first time diving off of a boat instead of a shore dive. I have to admit I was pretty nervous, there were a lot of "firsts" involved. My first time doing a giant stride off the boat, my first time in warm water, first time going to 100 feet. Basically for "giant striding" you get all of your gear on and stand on the back ladder of the dive boat, you put your regulator in your mouth (the thing you breathe from) and put the palm of your hand on the front of your regulator then your fingertips holding your mask so it doesn't slip off when you stride into the water. "Keep your legs spread until they hit the water, then pull them together in an upward kick to minimize how far you sink."(Padi 113) Anyways, once we got that over with, we swam out to the line to drop down. I was officially under water, you could see out as far as you wanted to, the water was crystal clear and super blue. We get down to the wreck at 105 feet down (you could still see the surface if you looked up!!) We start going through the openings and it was amazing just thinking about the history of it all.
(This is me in the Y-O-257 wreck)
You could swim through this wreck because it was an oil barge ship which means it carried tons of oil for the US Navy, The openings are from where the oil storage tanks were removed. It was intentionally sunk in 1989 for a man made reef. After we had swam through it all we heard a very odd noise, after looking over we saw a submarine!! "Y-O is frequently visited by submarines"(Johnson 346) We got to wave to all of the people and it was such a unique experience.
My father and I with other divers waving to the people in the submarine
Comparing diving in Hawaii to diving in Washington is almost impossible, there are too many differences that aren't easily comparable. I must say that I love to dive in both locations for different reasons. Would you rather have warm water with lots of fish OR cold water with fish and lots of plant life?
I can tell you are very passionate about scuba diving, it seems really cool and I like your pictures. I went snorking in Hawaii one time and saw a shark. It was really scary. It probably wasn't as cool as scuba diving though. I think if I ever went scuba diving I would rather go in warm water with lots of fish. -Jennifer Stober
Thank you! snorkeling is still amazing even though you weren't under the water there was still lots to see im sure! but yes lots of people prefer warm water over cold. :)
Wow! This is really cool! I wish that I could have that same experience that you did. It seems like a very cool opportunity. I liked how you described the process of what you have to do before you jump in the water. I have been to Hawaii but have never gotten to scuba dive. Nice job on this post!
I can tell you are very passionate about scuba diving, it seems really cool and I like your pictures. I went snorking in Hawaii one time and saw a shark. It was really scary. It probably wasn't as cool as scuba diving though. I think if I ever went scuba diving I would rather go in warm water with lots of fish.
ReplyDelete-Jennifer Stober
Thank you! snorkeling is still amazing even though you weren't under the water there was still lots to see im sure! but yes lots of people prefer warm water over cold. :)
DeleteWow! This is really cool! I wish that I could have that same experience that you did. It seems like a very cool opportunity. I liked how you described the process of what you have to do before you jump in the water. I have been to Hawaii but have never gotten to scuba dive. Nice job on this post!
ReplyDeleteThank you! Scuba diving is my passion:) i relly suggest getting into it if you're interested!
Delete