Monday, January 19, 2015

Time Off

It is not always good to race all the time. Racing too often will lead either get injured or burnout. "The rule of thumb for training and racing is to allow one day of easy running for each mile of hard racing" (Benyo 46). It is important to rest in between races otherwise you might get injured or you will just get mentally and physically exhausted. Your muscles need time to repair after hard races and if yo do two many of them then they won't have the time they need.
The last race in the XC season.

Racing all year long isn't the best. There are two good natural times that you can rest and not race. During the summer when it is too hot and during the winter when it is too cold.Using these times as rest allows you to regain energy and recover. (Benyo 46). For me I do about one race in the winter and one in the summer. I still run in preparation for cross country in the fall and track in the spring in the two off seasons.

Even if you really enjoy something do you think it best to take time away from it so you can focus on other things and not exaust yourself from the activity?

3 comments:

  1. These are great tips, Steven! I think rest after hard work is something that could be applied to any subject. When it comes to my writing, I know for sure I need break days so I don't wear my mind out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you could apply my tips to things outside of running or sports. I don't really like to write but I do see how you could run out of ideas to write about and get frustrated and that won't help the writing get done.

      Delete
  2. I liked your picture in your blog, I think its always important to have at least 1-2 days to rest in a week.
    -Jennifer Stober

    ReplyDelete