Inspiration is crucial to DIY. Finding inspiration to start, or to keep going to finish is one of the hardest parts. Starting with this, I came across one of, in my opinion, best quotes in the book: "[DIYers'] secret isn't so much what they have as what they don't have: a fear of failure" (Frauenfelder 20). I came across this several times. This is an important reminder as the owrld of DIY is explored. With failure in the back of our minds, one reminder is stressed: "Do not be afraid. Do not allow yourself to be intimidated" (Frauenfelder 158).
Intimidation was prominent as the end of the quarter loomed over. With limited time and pressure to finish the blog as a school assignment, I wasn't able to freely explore DIY as much as I wanted to. But "when life hands you a broken tree branch, make a wooden spoon" (Frauenfelder 145). Many of us have heard this in the form of lemons and lemonade, but the message is the same: make the best out of your situation. I adapted to the short time span and chose smaller projects, such as crafts. With more time, I definitely want to try bigger and more useful projects. Join the rest of the DIY world and take initiative. There are many benefits with DIY, such as saving money, having fun, or helping others in the process.
With more time, here are a couple projects I would want to work on in the future:
![]() |
| A Lego tissue box cover would lighten the mood when sick. |
![]() |
| I'd love to make a Seahawks sharpie mug! |
Citation:
Frauenfelder, Mark. Made by Hand: Searching for Meaning in a Throwaway World. New York: Portfolio, 2010. Print.


No comments:
Post a Comment