Monday, January 19, 2015

Keeping Everything In Focus

“When you’re presented with a stunning view, it’s only natural to want everything in your photograph to be as sharp as it appears to the naked eye” (Gatcum 56).  I agree with this statement. Sometimes when I am taking photos, I often found my pictures that I was taking to be a little bit blurry and out of focus. This could be because my camera was shaking or I wasn’t just taking the photo right! Keeping everything in focus is one of the most important elements in photography.“There is a trick to making everything as sharp as possible, and it doesn’t always have to require the best camera setup” (Gatcum 56).


There are many techniques to making a photo look sharp and in focus. One of the techniques mentioned by Gatcum is to, “take a test shot and review your image. Use your camera’s playback zoom controls to zoom in and out” (Gatcum 56). By zooming in and out of your photo, you can see how focused your image is. Another interesting technique is to, “focus on the eyes, when taking portraits of animals or people.” I never knew this when taking portraits of different people. This technique really interested me, so I decided to try it out. Here is what my photo turned out like:


My cousin Ian, on his birthday. 
 When I took this photo, I realized that having focus in a picture, can help enhance a subject by making it stand out from its other surroundings or the background. Focus can draw a person in and the right type of focus can create a powerful message through a photograph. Anyone can take photos that are not blurry and are in focus. All you have to do is concentrate on what you are taking, making sure you take your time, and be precise! If you’re ever stuck on different types of photos to take, some examples are: people, animals, landscapes, natures, etc.
Has there ever been a time when you were taking a photo and it was out of focus?

3 comments:

  1. That is a great picture! I like the way that you explain how to focus the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if you also had some blur around so it looked more focused?

    ReplyDelete