Growing up, singing was just a hobby. As far as I can remember, music in general has occupied a large place in my life. I have always been in choir and played piano-- and I love every minute of it. I have always taken my music as serious as my schooling--- probably even more, and I am proud of that. (Although I probably shouldn't be).
When I started 9th grade, I decided I wanted to get better. I began weekly voice lessons with my lovely voice coach Kerstin O' Shields. I've learned how to control my voice, my posture, and my relaxation. Every week I gain tips on how to present myself and how to take care of my vocal chords. I have taken all of this advice to improve my voice and my confidence.
The thing I love most about singing is that it is always unique. Everyone on Earth has a singing voice- and everyone's is different. It is your choice whether or not to take advantage of your instrument. Also, you have the freedom to sing whatever style you like. I know sometimes it can be frustrating when your voice doesn't sound how you'd like it to, but that's when the dedication comes in.
Learning to accept my natural voice and how to control it is a challenge I am willing to face.
In future posts, I hope to explore the anatomy of the human vocal chords and further explain the science behind singing and vocal training.
-Madeline Gordon
attached: a photo of the Kentridge Concert Choir
This is really neat. Good job being on dedication and singing ability! I can sing, to some extent, but I'm out of practice and lack the time or desire to sing more. I really can't stand my voice in recordings either. Keep up the good work! You (and your chior) sound good at the assemblys you preform at.
ReplyDeletethank you! singing definitely takes time and dedication. Hopefully you will be hearing me sing solo son!!!!
DeleteI think that it's really awesome that you've come so far with your singing. It's honestly impressive how far you come, and because I've heard you sing, your voice is impressive as well. Within a year, you've gained so much confidence with your singing, and you've gotten better, too. Good luck with NATS coming up, and with your voice lessons!
ReplyDeletethanks brookie!! too sweet. thank you for always supporting me and telling me I don't suck! :)
Delete