Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The Rule-of-Thirds

"There has always been something about shooting landscapes that has brought a sense of joy to my photography. It might have something to do with being outdoors and working at the mercy of Mother Nature. Maybe it's the way it challenges me to visualize the landscape and try to capture it with my camera"( Revell 131). For me, shooting outside where things are already in place is what I prefer. Shooting landscapes and capturing the beautiful-ness of them is what I really enjoy. I'd rather take pictures of the sunset than of people. But either way, what I like about photography is that it can preserve memories and catch good(or bad things) in someone's daily life.

In this chapter, they talked about landscapes. The Rule of Thirds was mentioned and I decided to play around with that. "Generally speaking, you should position the horizon one third of the way up or down in the frame"(153). Placing it in the middle sometimes does not look as good and it requires the right subject matter for it to work. So I tried it out.

Upper third
Middle


Lower third
For the upper third, you can see more of the landscape and also see a contrast between the green grass and the rest of the picture. The middle picture looks okay... not too bad. You can see a fair amount of the sky but the houses at the bottom kind of take away from the mountains in the distant. And then the last picture, the lower third puts more of the focus on the sky. Which could work for some people, but in this case, since I'm trying to focus on the mountains, I don't think it really works out.

From now on, I will keep in mind where to put my horizon in pictures to be able to focus on it. Like I mentioned earlier, I prefer taking pictures of landscapes so I had a lot of fun going outside and taking these pictures. I also took other pictures but that will be on my last post.

My questions for you is that would you rather take pictures of landscapes or people?

2 comments:

  1. Amber, I agree with your preference. I would rather take pictures of landscapes. While both subjects are interesting to capture under the lens, I feel like landscapes often tell a different story. If you look at a landscape, you can see its natural aspects, human influences, and culture. Looking at specific parts of a landscape can reveal different pieces of information of stories. In the picture you provided, a viewer can assume that it is autumn because only the coniferous trees have leaves on them. The other trees are bare or have almost dead leaves. While looking deeper at the picture, the reader can see that the picture is of a neighborhood overlooked by mountains. The interpretation could be different depending on the person. I like to look at the "big picture" when going through everyday tasks, that is why landscape photography is more appealing to me than the photography of people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Martina,
      I agree with you when you said that landscapes tell a different story. I like the way you interpreted the pictures, and your comment made me think about how different people can see one picture in different ways. [:

      Delete