Saturday, January 17, 2015

Tarot Reading. Interpreting The Magician

I have returned once again with another card in the Major Arcana. In this blog I will give my interpretation/analysis of how The Magician is described by Barbara Moore.



Author's Interpretation -
The Magician is number one in the Major Arcana. He is a serious man and "unlike the Fool, he is fully aware of the laws of cause and effect, actions and consequences...He is aware of the importance of his choices. By focusing his will, he controls the elemental powers represented by the Wand, Cup, Sword and Pentacle, which are his tools. By learning to control his will and the elements, he can accomplish whatever he chooses" (39).

My Analysis -
The Fool is a man that is free and simply living in the moment (as stated in a previous blog). He doesn't know what will happen as the result of his choices nor does he care (Moore 37). The Magician is the opposite and is represented in the card with him hovering his hands near the Wand, Cup, Sword, and Pentacle. The Magician knows what will happen as a result of certain choices. This is because he understands the weaknesses of each suit and the warnings within them. I can see why since each suit represents different states or situations a person can be in:


  • "Wands/fire - fiery energy - passionate, energetic, inspiring, and dangerous
  • Cups/water - emotions, relationships, dreams, intuition, the soul, and subconscious 
  • Swords/air - problems, logic, thinking, communication
  • Pentacles/earth - energy is grounded, stable, prosperous, pertinent to the physical world, finances, resources, and health" (Moore 22).

  • If The Magician has a situation that involves problems with logic, thinking, or communication, he knows that a weakness within this category would be neglecting relationships due to a focus on education, a term associated with logic/thinking. He would then make decisions that would prevent this outcome because he has the skills to do so.

    Other ways that display The Magician's insightful decisions is the serious expression he has, and the outer space behind him. The serious expression he has shows that he's thinking intently about what to do. For the outer space, it reminds me of a person having the world in the palm of their hands. This person is in control of their life or situation because they understand what they need to do just like The Magician.

    All of this analysis helps me determine that if a querent were to receive this card, they're someone who has the power to achieve what they want due to having the necessary skills. However, they should be careful of manipulation and control because of their power (Moore 39).

    Would you rather be The Fool or The Magician?

    Moore, Barbara. The Gilded Tarot Companion. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn Publications, 2013.

    2 comments:

    1. Hi Tiffany! I just want to say that I've never really interpreted cards before, and your ability to analyze the card in depth is pretty cool :) I have a question, what is Tarot Reading? Do you use these cards to predict the future, or are they more for fun? As for your question, I think that I'd rather be the magician because I like having control over things. In my opinion, I'd rather know the consequences of my actions and have things revolve around them rather than to live freely, like the fool would.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hello Amber,
      I use these cards to answer questions people have about the future and to have fun at the same time. I don't always agree with the cards, but most of the time I do. I did a one card pick on myself and I found it to be very accurate. As for your answer, I would say the same myself. Even though being The Fool would give me a lot of courage, I think that I'm more towards the Magician.

      ReplyDelete