Saturday, January 3, 2015

Tarot Reading. Interpreting The Fool.




Take a leap of faith (take a risk)

The Fool is at the start of the Major Arcana because it represents the start of a new journey.
It also portrays the message, take a leap of faith, by having the fool shrugging and looking free (Moore 37). What I mean by free is that he doesn't look tense, but rather aimlessly floating up there in a weird position. The author of The Gilded Tarot Companion, Barbara Moore, describes the card like this, "The Fool does not know, nor does he much care. He lives in the moment, filled with wonder and curiosity, not worried about where the journey will end" (Moore 37). In order to take a leap of faith you can't hold yourself back with fear (being worried about how the journey will end) and by being held back by the wrongs in the past (The Fool lives in the moment). Also, the most important part is to be filled with wonder and curiosity (a drive that pushes you to take the leap). The zodiac signs also ties in with the message, take a leap of faith.

Located above The Fool are the zodiac signs that represents different personality traits (Moore 37). Metaphorically, these differing traits symbolize the many possibilities that can be taken. However, these possibilities are not limited to the zodiac signs. They are boundless to the many possibilities and demonstrates that each individual has different leap of faith.

In addition, there is also a gold hoop that wraps around his bottom left leg. Notice how The Fool averts his attention towards the sky above him, paying less attention to the hoop. Figuratively speaking, the hoop is a sign of distraction that can hold you back from taking your leap of faith. But as previously mentioned, The Fool does not care that's why the hoop is not of any importance regardless of its presence.

The author ends the page with the message of the card. "The Fool's message is one of unconventional choices. Take a leap of faith. Adopt a playful attitude in a serious situation. You are at a crossroads and you have no way of knowing where each road will end. Pick one that strikes your fancy and set out with courage and a light heart. Prepare to meet all challenges with confidence. Be aware of carelessness and folly. There is a difference between taking a risk and plowing headfirst into danger. Reckless behavior can lead to a long path of unhappiness" (Moore 37).

The difference between taking a risk and plowing headfirst into danger is that when you're taking a risk it doesn't need to be rash. You can take a risk by thinking calmly. However, when you plow headfirst into danger you aren't thinking but rather just impulsively taking action.

Question: In what situations do you think it's appropriate to be impulsive?

Moore, Barbara. The Gilded Tarot Companion. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn Publications, 2013.

2 comments:

  1. I love your deep thinking of The Fool, Tiffany! This card seems to be something I wish I had in me. Often I find myself dwelling on the past, but I need to look more into the moment. I also need to start taking more risks that could possible improve certain qualities of my life.
    Impulsiveness is healthy in matters such as trying a new food or ride at the fair. I don't think it is when you're risking your own life, someone else's, or challenging the law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Carrie.
    I agree with you, impulsiveness is good for trying new experiences that wouldn't harm others or yourself. However, I can be a bit clumsy sometimes and it backfires on me.
    I also find myself dwelling on the past too. Maybe today is the year to finally take a leap of faith.

    ReplyDelete