The composition of a picture is one of the most important aspects to pay attention to while making a sketch. Since sketching is generally used as "a quick way to record a subject or scene for future reference" (Oliver 33), it's important to include all of the parts of the picture and assemble them in an organized fashion.
Shifting the contrast between areas is one of the ways you can shift the area of focus or interest, thus bringing out the most remarkable aspect of the sketch. Here are three sketches of the same thing, although with different areas of interest:
No, the tree isn't getting progressively larger in diameter with each sketch, I don't know what you're talking about.
An easy way to construct a sketch while keeping yourself organized is to take it in steps. First, block out the shapes using simple lines. Then, move on to the detail on the shapes and the tone values that give the sketch character. Here is my example:
What sorts of things do you like to take one step at a time, beyond sketching? Does it help you achieve the task quicker?
Oliver, Robert S. The Sketch in Color. New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1983. Print.


That's really cool. I am going to try now. I love to draw, but i am not good at it. Maybe if i try this it could help me... :) Thank you!
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome! I'm glad that this post is able to help. Even though you might not be good at drawing, practice is always a sure way for everyone to improve.
DeleteWow! Your lines are really clean! Good depth in the mountain! Really great! Really nice!! Can't wait to see more sketches!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd about your question, I find a lot things to be easier to get started on/stick with, and a lot less stressful, if I take them step by step and stay organized, but i wouldn't really say that I get them done quicker...hmmmmmmhmm...
Thank you, crumb! I appreciate your compliments.
DeleteI agree--when you take things step by step, you avoid the stress of having to do it all in one last minute. It might depend on the task on whether it gets done quicker or not--for instance, with drawing, your creative thoughts tend to flow in a more organized pattern and you won't be hitting art blocks that take away your time.
I have noticed that taking some tasks step by step makes them much easier and less overwhelming to finish, but I have never applied that to drawing or sketching before. Although I usually don't draw or sketch for fun, this post will help me if I ever decide to try. Your sketches are really good Jacqueline, I hadn't realized you were so talented at drawing!
ReplyDeleteHi, Carly! I agree, it definitely helps to take things step by step so that you don't feel burdened by the workload. Applying processes like this to drawing and sketching can really help with organizing and perfecting a picture. If you ever decide to take up art more often, I'm sure this could give you some help along the way. It takes much less effort than people think.
DeleteThank you! (: