Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Getting Creative

"If you feel overwhelmed and aren't sure where to begin, start with what inspires you" (Ellenwood 9). For some reason, this quote really spoke to me. Even though I knew where to start, I felt I needed a way to get more creative with my work. After doing a few scroll saw projects, I felt pretty proficient in using the saw "After carving for a period of time, you'll probably find that you prefer certain types [of carving] to others" (Ellenwood 9). Scroll saw carving is one of those kinds that I prefer to others, but now I wanted to find a way to build upon that skill and make it more personal and creative.

In the quote, it says to begin with inspires you, so I thought to myself "What inspires you, Anne?" The first thing that came to mind was music. My first thought to incorporate this idea into wood carving was to carve out song lyrics, but that wouldn't be very practical because there is only so much you can do with a scroll saw. My next thought was to find a way to put the lyrics on the wood. "How could I do that?" I asked myself and then it came to me. I could print out sheet music of my favorite songs and put that on the wood.

My first step was to find the sheet music, which was pretty easy to do. I just googled the songs I wanted to use and printed them off. I added some effects to make the sheet music to look older and fancier. Then I glued the music to the piece of wood I was going to carve. After, I traced the letter (s) I wanted on to the sheet music and went over those marks with pen. Last, I finally cut out the letters. My final products looked like this:
This letter has the sheet music of
"Let it Go" from Frozen on it.

This letter as the sheet music of
the One Direction song "Gotta Be You"
on it.
The letters all have sheet
music on them and on
 the back, all the lyrics
 to all the songs on the front.
 Now I ask you, what simple thing have you made more creative in some way or another? How did you make them more creative than they were before? How could the concept of making something creative or your own apply to other things in your life?

2 comments:

  1. This is super cool. Do you give away your wooden creations as gifts or hang them up next to One Direction? Also, where did you get the idea to do someone's name? - Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam! To answer your question, yes, I do give my "wooden creations" to people as gifts. For example, the "Nolan" I gave to Nolan for his birthday. I also do keep some for myself and put them up over the window or door in my room because that's the only place that doesn't have One Direction posters over it. I got the idea by looking on Pinterest, where I saw many letters carved in wood, but I thought a letter was too little, so I experimented a little bit and came up with the idea to do a whole name, not just an initial.

      Delete