Sunday, January 11, 2015

Eggnog Christmas


For Christmas, I decided to take advantage of all the people coming over to our house and make cupcakes for them. In the holiday cheer, I decided to use the extra eggnog we had left over and make eggnog cupcakes.

The recipe called for "1 tsp. of rum"(Castella 63). Not wanting to take any chances since there would be little ones at the party, I did as suggested and substituted in rum extract instead (Castella 63). These cupcakes turned out to be very dense, not light and fluffy like I had hoped. Since these were so dense, I didn't need to use as much batter in the cupcake wrappers than I normally do, so I still had a lot left after I had used all of my cupcake baking tins. Not wanting to throw the rest away, I found bread baskets and put the rest of the batter in them. Eggnog bread was not the plan, but it did the trick. My mom gave them to my great-grandparents, who took them home and ate them the next morning.

Even my grandpa, who normally never eats desserts, had two cupcakes, which is a new record that I'm sure everyone in my family noticed. I think my cupcakes are turning out pretty well!


What do you do when things go unplanned?
Castella, Krystina. Crazy about Cupcakes. New York: Sterling, 2006. Print.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's really clever how you took the inspiration from one dessert and modified it to make another fantastic treat! It is truly the tasty side of improvisation. When things go unplanned for me, I try to break down the situation and see what I can do to benefit from it. For example, once while we were constructing a wood prototype of a robot part, we ran out of wood screws that would work for the piece so we used zip ties to fasten the parts together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martina! I think that it is very smart of you to break down the situation to see what you can benefit from it.

      Delete