DIY is an essential part of achieving a more meaningful life (Frauenfelder 16). Growing up as children, stuff animals were, and still are, an important part of our lives; they will be forever in our memories. What better way to revisit those meaningful memories than to make one myself. Wanting to explore simple sewing, I decided to make a sock monkey. Although there were old socks easily available, naturally, I wanted to use a new one, and greatly recommend it too. After cutting, stuffing, and sewing the sock together, it closely resembled the traditional sock monkey.
Although this definitely looked homemade, it reminded me of many childhood memories. Being able to make it myself was pretty satisfying. As seen in Made by Hand, by Mark Frauenfelder, "one might argue that building [a device] is a wasted effort, since someone else figured that one out a long time ago. But to construct the device and take the measurements yourself is a deeply rewarding experience" (Frauenfelder 189). Looking at my sock monkey, I felt as if making it myself was a lot more rewarding than going out to a store and simply buying one. Being able to put it together created a connection, that a store bought item could never have done.
With the theme that homemade items are more meaningful, what was a time when recieving a homemade gift turned out better than expected?
Citation:
Frauenfelder, Mark. Made by Hand: Searching for Meaning in a Throwaway World.
New York: Portfolio, 2010. Print.

This is adorable! How much prior sewing knowledge would you recommend having before attempting this craft?
ReplyDeleteThanks! Not much, though I took forever cause I had to make sure everything was correct. The sock is already in shape so the sock really helps.
Delete