Not doing a warm-up
The warm-up is a crucial part of any exercise. The purpose for the warm-up is to increase the temperature of muscles before using them to their full potential (Salazar 45). This decreases the risk of pulling muscles when you begin your actual activity. Warm-ups also stimulate the body to start supplying muscles with fuel. A warm-up can be achieved by running up until the point where you start to sweat. Many runners skip a warm up, and go right into their workout, which is unfortunate because they are at increased risk for injury, and they will have a harder time concentrating on the workout.
Not doing a cool-down
![]() |
| For especially long runs, or heat, it may be necessary to take a CamelBak, like the one I have here |
Hydration
Many runners (I am guilty of this too) neglect their need to hydrate before or after their run. Alberto explains that "the average American drinks far too little water even for a sedentary life. If you're typical, you're likely to be beginning your runs slightly dehydrated." (Salazar 47) Hydrating is important for anything that would make you sweat, because your body is using that water, and it needs more. Hydrating before a run makes blood flow better, and makes the exercise feel better as well (Salazar 47)
Consistent training
Training by yourself is hard to do. It is easy to make other plans, or have priorities take the place of running. Training consistently is the only way you will have a good race. The amount of work that you put into the sport is the amount of success that you get out of it. Alberto suggests that you make a habit of running at the same time most days in order to get in a pattern that is harder to disrupt (Salazar 47). If weather conditions are not ideal, then use a treadmill for the day. Out of my personal experience I can say that the most effective way to train consistently is to run with other people, because they count on you to be there with them. The most important thing is that you try and get at least 20 minutes of running in at least 3 times a week. If you do this your current fitness level probably won't increase, but then again, it probably won't decrease either.
Some little things are easily over-looked, and reading through this chapter brought to light some things that I need to focus on (specifically hydration). As a reader, what little things have you overlooked in your hobbies (previously or currently), and how has that affected your success in those hobbies?

I'm especially guilty of not running consistently. And as you've said, I have to spend the first part of the cross country season recovering from it. I'm also with you on the hydration. I don't consistently drink enough water. Sometimes I'll actually drink enough but not often enough. Hopefully I can get myself to actually run in the off season. Nice job this year and good luck next year.
ReplyDeleteThank you very much! It sounds like we're in a bit of the same situation. Though I've been running through the off season, I don't think I've been doing as good a job as I could. Best of luck to you!
Delete