Welcome back! With the new year literally right around the
corner, why not start it off on a good note with my second snack substitution! Within
this blog I have included my twist on broccoli with cheese. Although quite
delicious it is not necessarily the best choice. Sadly, it has been a long time favorite of mine so this substitution was a little harder to go through.
There are endless ways to cook broccoli to your desire. Some people prefer stir-fried, boiled, raw, steamed, blanched, etc… In all honesty I enjoy multiple methods but I had always wondered which method is the most beneficial for my body. Within my book Eat This Not That, the author revealed that, "...a few steamed florets," "...have 2 days' worth of vitamins C and K in each serving." (Zinczenko 17). I found my answer.The answer was so
simple. Steamed. After bugging my mom as to why she thought steaming broccoli was most beneficial, she explained that you are keeping in most of the nutrients
while still making it not as crunchy. Personally, I think it can
add an odd flavoring but steaming is the way I go now when preparing my snack.
Now for the cheese. Yes, very delicious I agree. But, there
are alternative toppings or additives that can accompany your broccoli just as
nicely! For my snack, I enjoy an egg white as my alternative. Not raw of course because that is
a major health hazard. Sometimes I microwave or pan-cook my egg whites just
to how I enjoy them. How you prepare your egg whites is totally up to you though. If you were planning on pan-frying your egg whites I highly recommend using a cooking spray, such as olive oil or coconut oil, so you don't go heavy-handed on the butter and they don't stick to the pan! But why egg whites one may ask? One persuasion factor was that I read eggs are, "...one of the healthiest foods on the planet." (Zinczenko 125). Quite broad so I continued reading and learned that eggs are loaded with a ton of nutrients your body needs. One of those being choline. Choline is basically a nutrient that helps out with memory function in your brain! Also, omega-3 fatty acids are a big factor. (Zinczenko 125).
All in all, if you think I am saying do not eat broccoli
with cheese then that statement is inaccurate. You should eat whatever food
makes you happy. My substitution of an egg white is completely optional but
recommended if you feel like changing it up for the new year.
What do you want your first meal of the new year to be?
Citation
ZINCZENKO, DAVID, and MATT GOULDING. EAT THIS NOT THAT. NEW YORK NY: Macmillan, 2008. Print.
What do you want your first meal of the new year to be?
| Looks can be deceiving |
Looks tasty Emily! Personally I'd substutite the egg for some cheese, and the brocoli with some macaroni noodles, then substitute the whole thing for a pizza, then maybe substitute the toppings for the mac n' cheese I started with, I don't know I'm not the best cook.
ReplyDeleteI like your suggestion to break from the scripture of a cookbook and modify recipies to what suits you. I like most food, but those I don't I could sub with something I do! I also like your suggestion to cook the egg before eating it.
Hey Quinn thanks! Oh my that brought out a good chuckle! In all honesty I want you to eat whatever makes you happy. If having your macaroni and cheese is the meal for you, NO ONE IS STOPPING YOU. My goal is to just make recommendations on regular snacks that scream boring to me. Especially after having to eat the same thing multiple times. So, thank you again for being able to see my purpose. It sounds like you could start making your own modifications on different foods, oh no I better watch out! Also, I've only met two people in my life that prefer their eggs raw. They were extreme workout type of people so... remember to cook your eggs :).
Delete