
In actuality, most juices contain high-fructose corn syrup. I'm sure you've heard of it before but do you know what it is? I didn't at first but then I read a section on high-fructose corn syrup and it all started in the early 1970's. Food manufacturers were in search of a cheaper ingredient to replace natural sugar in their products and they eventually came up with high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS). As a cheap by-product and having the ability to give food products a longer shelf life HFCS constitute to the average Americans' 82 grams of added sugar consumed every day. (Zinczenko XI). In shock I knew at that point I wanted to try and reduce my 82 grams. To do so my dad and I came up with a smoothie that will knock your socks off.
We call it "The Straw-bomb," because my dad thought he was funny and hip when he randomly said it one night. I loved how this simple substitution turned out being so much more beneficial for my body. Low on HFCS and high on happiness. Water, frozen fruit (tropical blend with strawberries), real fruit (strawberries, bananas, mangoes), a splash of milk, and ice turned my sugar-filled stomach into a satisfied one. It's totally easy to prepare too because it's not time-consuming! Great for a morning boost, an afternoon snack, and late night munchies!To conclude, I knew I wanted to reduce my 82 grams of added sugar I put into my body per day. To do so, I swapped out my glasses of juice with "The Straw-bomb." Results? I felt that going through a school day was much easier because I found my stomach growling a whole lot less.
Do you find smoothies satisfying?
Citation
ZINCZENKO, DAVID, and MATT GOULDING. EAT THIS NOT THAT. NEW YORK NY: Macmillan, 2008. Print.
Emily that looks really YUMMY! And I love smoothies they are so refreshing and healthy :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Bethany! I'm so glad there are others out there in the world who love smoothies too! I definitely agree that they are great refreshers while being quite healthy! Thanks for your feedback.
DeleteLooks absolutely AMAZING! and the blog was really well written and engage for the reader good job emily
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Sydney!! And oh that is great to hear my blog made sense! Thank you for your feedback!
DeleteEMILY THIS LOOKS DELICIOUS! Reading about the high-fructose corn syrup was interesting and has informed me about what is actually in some foods. I will for sure try the strawberry bomb smoothie sometime soon, it seems so much healthier! Keep up the great & helpful posts :)
ReplyDeleteThank you Melissa!! I'm glad you were able to get a feel for what's actually in some foods! I hope it is as delicious as it is for me!
Delete