Thursday, January 21, 2016

Post 4 - Present Tense - French Fluency

Like English, there are multiple tenses in French. One of these tenses is the present.
One variation from English, however, is that "the present tense in French has three equivalents in English," (Rodchester, 48)
This is shown in the attached picture;
To go in detail, the phrase "Je parle français"can be translated into multiple versions in English, such as "I speak French", "I am speaking French", "I do speak French".
This is another example of how French is simpler than English - would you rather have one phrase or three for the same one?


Rochester, Myrna Bell. Easy French Step-by-step: Master High-frequency Grammar for French Proficiency--fast! New York: McGraw-Hill, 2009. Print.

2 comments:

  1. I personally like having multiple phrases to say basically the same thing because it can show how educated one is or how acedemic they are. Although it may be easier to just have one phrase for three things there could be misconceptions about what one is trying to say. Having three diffferent ways to say something can also expand your vocabulary and make stories and converstaion less bland and more exciting. Overall this is a very well done blog post, interesting information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. French seemed to always be a difficult language to me despite my interest in it, this probably justifies my point. It's so interesting to see how one phrase can mean so many things. Perhaps based on context, it changes the meaning. As I am learning to speak Japanese, these types of contextual phrases are very common in Asian languages as well! I am inspired by your aspiration to learn a rather difficult language. Do you have prior knowledge to this language? And you do wish to continue learning French even after this unit is over?

    ReplyDelete