Thursday, January 14, 2016

Acquiring the Art - The Expert At The Card Table

Magic is one of those hobbies that you truly need constant practice to get good at. Erdnase, author of The Expert At The Card Table, writes about the most efficient ways of practicing.

Today, I will be describing these tips and talking about how to practice magic properly.

1. Location: Erdnase says that "the only proper way to practice is to be seated in the usual manner at a card table with a looking glass opposite". I used to practice magic at a card table, but no mirror. After reading Erdnase's book, I have begun practicing in front of a mirror. I love how it lets me see how moves will actually look to a spectator and whether the manner of my movements look suspicious or not. 
This practice mirror is ideal for practicing magic as it will show you not only the front angle but the side angles. Most of the time spectators will not exclusively watch from in front so it is important to be mindful of what can be seen at your sides and diagonals. 

Erdnase puts it as the magician "becomes his own critic" (Erdnase 24). 

2. Hands: Basically, what Erdnase writes is that proper card manipulation requires hands that are not too moist and not too dry. I won't go into too much detail with this. It's pretty simple. "Of course dry fingers may be moistened, or damp ones dried, but either operation is objectionable" (Erdnase 25). 

3. Card Quality: "For superior work the cards should be new, thin, flexible and of best quality. Cheap cards are clumsy and not highly finished. Cards that have been handled two or three hours become more or less sticky, and the slightest friction is a detriment to perfect manipulation" (Erdnase 25). 

I have dozens of packs of cards in my room. Some have been barely used and some have been used heavily. Erdnase does not lie, cards are in the best condition in the first two or three hours of use fresh out of the package. I love playing with these cards as they are so smooth and have very little friction so sleights are simply easy. The highest quality of cards come from companies like Theory11 and Ellusionist. 

If you are interested in getting packs of cards from these distributors, here are some links for purchasing:

Ellusionist - http://www.ellusionist.com/

Theory11 - http://www.theory11.com/

In conclusion, Erdnase stresses that it is important to practice a lot but it is more important to practice correctly in small amounts than incorrectly in large amounts. So, practice in front of a mirror, with hands that are not too dry or wet, and a pack of brand new high quality cards. This is what I do and it has made my magic improve because of it.

Erdnase, S. W. Artifice, Ruse, and Subterfuge at the Card Table: A Treatise on the Science and Art of Manipulating Cards. Chicago: Frederick J. Drake, 1905. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment