A human body can do so much more than standing, sitting, ect. There's a certain shape and flow that truly shapes the motion in a drawing. Artists manipulate shapes and curves to make a balanced and natural look in to the human body. As Loomis describes it, "If you balance a pole on your hand, you must follow with you hand the movement of the top of the pole." (Loomis, 116). For example, if you were to draw a running pose turning to the right, the whole body with shift to that angle. However, the figures hips and shoulders sway in certain angles to create a thorough shape in the figure.
Loomis states the this as "the 'spirit of the movement". An artist cannot be successful if your drawings are static. Movement and action look pleasing to the eye (Loomis, 117). If you look back at post #1 it's the most stiff pose you could put a figure in, straight and forward. While it may be perfectly fine if you were to study measurements. But once you've mastered eyeballing proportion, an artist must move onto using those skills to draw a figure in more complex poses.
The key is balance. Notice in the bottom right drawing that the figure has their right foot extended out. In that case I knew to make the arch of her back more acute to compensate the balance of her footing. Therefore, her shoulders are aligned and the pose looks natural. As far as a poses fluidity: this is best exemplified in the top right picture. Her legs, arms, spine and hars all have aruved angles. Here is no straight edges shapes, ect used in this particular piece because I wanted the movement to have a rounder and softer approach.
In my personal opinion, I believe that my first few drawings were static and stiff regardless of the curriculum. Most of my drawings then had no fluidity to the piece at all, and most poses I knew at the time were limited. I believe that now, after learning so much from this book and even brushing up my basics, has helped me improve in art. Not only sharping up my skills but learning new abilities that I have used to personal art. I think this project was a great experience for me to interpret an authors meaning and applying it for educational purposes. Both academic and in art. While the human anatomy has become more clear to me now, there is so much more to learn. Most likely, if you're reading this, you've done this project as well. Do you believe you've improved after this project? Are there things that you excelled in? How about things you lacked?
Loomis, Andrew. A Guide to Figure Drawing : For All It's Worth. N.p.: Titan,
1944. Print.
I like that your post has very good details and very well explain through each of your steps and nice representation of those steps from your pictures. It would help me draw better from using your steps, since it is really thought out.
ReplyDelete