Now it's time to bring it all together and test my true abilities. Throughout my life I've picked up abilities simply from photos or other drawings. But I never took the time to look at still life and models as a way to learn anatomy. Loomis begins by saying that the best ways to learn still life anatomy is through a figure window as shown in on the right sides. He continues by saying that anatomy can be see easiest when separated into portions, measurements and horizontal and vertical lines, "It is easiest to sight in vertical and horizontal lines, so that important points directly across or under each other are quickly "checked". When a point falls out of the figure, such as a hand, angles of points within the figure will help to find it" (Loomis, 82). This is why you often see artists stopping to place your pencils beside the model. He states it as a "visual survey" since no measurements can be taken into ratio. It's all about eyeballing and letting your interpretation of the object be portrayed onto your canvas. Not only do you depict the curves of the models body but the shadows/half-tones/lighting as well. In the previous post I have experimented with different lighting on different faces and body types. I've now applied this skill onto still life figure drawing and every time I've learn previously.
In this post, I've edited the pictures on the right in Photoshop to censor the model for the sake of sensitive eyes. Nonetheless, I used the figure window provided in the book to place on top of the models. Of course, I would never get the chance to find an actual still model to pose for me so turning to the internet was my best choice. I made sure to place the window finder on both my drawing and the figure to see it best. Loomis states to constantly check your lines and even divide them into smaller portions if necessary. In a three-dimensional setting, it's critical that you align your potions in the same angle each time to ensure it's accuracy.
Overall, I'm happy with the results. It surely isn't perfect but it's a step closer to ultimately understanding drawing human anatomy. There is only one post to go and I anticipate that I'll be able to do with it and push my abilities to the most challenging levels. There's a lot of things you can notice while drawing, like I've said in the first posts, it's a visual thing. You get to see improvement visually, and I believe that I have improved a little more during this project. How do you think you've improve through your life? Is there anyway you can show it visually?
Loomis, Andrew.
A Guide to Figure Drawing : For All It's Worth. N.p.: Titan,
1944. Print.
No comments:
Post a Comment