Many golfers make less than full shots because they do not match the length of his backswing to the distance the ball must travel. Sometimes an over abbreviated backswing leads to a hurried, jerky downswing in a last second effort to generate the missing power. Most golfers over swing going back, then decelerates coming down. The key is to smoothly accelerate the club from the highest point in the backswing through the ball and follow through. Nicklaus describes how he tries to keep the same tempo when swinging; "I try to maintain the same slow tempo and smooth sweeping rhythm I use for the longer shots with the longer clubs" (Nicklaus, 210). The key to maximum speed when swinging a club is to sweep low on your target line and slowly accelerate on your downswing.
If you tilt your head to the right, you can see that in my backswing I am sweeping my club and keeping a smooth path and pace.
Why do you think it is important to keep a smooth
pace when swinging?
Great detail when describing the backswing and how you need to apply a smooth and even amount of power when hitting the ball off the tee. I believe that you need to keep a smooth pace while swinging in order to make sure the ball can be hit at it's maximum speed without slowing down your arm swing. Good work Alyssa!!!
ReplyDeleteFrom reading your blog posts, I have discovered that a lot of golf swings involve fluid motions and that anything jerky or not straight will result in a poor swing. Your knowledge on golf has really shown through in your posts and I have learned a lot. Especially since I am really bad at golf and always swing really bad. I also enjoyed the format of your blog which was simple, informational, and showed you demonstrating the actual thing you were blogging about. This blog and your previous posts are awesome sauce.
ReplyDelete