Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Angel Tree Topper

A tree topper is one of the most classic parts of Christmas, but my family never got around to getting one. I decided to remedy that on my own by making an angel tree topper! "Decorate simple cones of card with a sprinkling of glitter and a pom-pom to create pretty tee-top angels complete with silver pipe cleaner or feather wings." (Woram, 32)

For this project you will need gold or silver paper, a marker, glitter, a stapler, pipe cleaners, glue, paint, a plate to trace the shape, and a pom-pom for the head.

First, place the plate about halfway on the piece of paper and trace around it with a marker. Use glue to draw a scalloped line all around the marked edge of the paper.

Sprinkle glitter over the glue and leave to dry for a few minutes. Shake off any excess glitter and cut out the semi-circle.

 Form the the semi-circle into a cone shape. "Folding it gently in half and making a slight crease at the center of the paper makes it a bit easier to form a cone." (Woram, 33). Use a stapler to join the care together.

 Use one of the pipe cleaners to form the wings. Twist the ends over to form a figure eight.

 Apply a dab of glue to the center of the wings and glue them ti the back of the cone, about an inch from the top. Glue the pompom to the top of the cone. Use the paint and a very small paintbrush to make the face. To finish off, bend a gold pipe cleaner in to a circle and glue to the top of the pompom head.
And there you have it, one fun and personalized tree topper! Be careful putting it on the tree so you don't knock it down like I did, and enjoy the festivity! 

If you didn't use an angel, what kind of tree topper would you want?

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tree topper turned out really good. I love the little touch of glitter, it really sets off the topper to have an elegant look to it. This post is great since I really need a new tree topper for my Christmas tree. This is a wonderful idea and a great project to work on near the holidays. If I didn't use an angel I would use a star since that is a classic kind of tree topper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jason! I agree, a little glitter is a great way to set something off. A star would be a cool tree topper, especially if it was lit up.

      Delete
  3. I love how you took matters into your own hand and made one yourself. You instructions were very clear and i like how you had pictures to show each step. I love how you turned your craft skills into things that everybody uses. I might have to make my own next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paris! I'm glad I could inspire you to make your own crafts.

      Delete
  4. i like how each of your steps has good specific detail and good explanation towards your book, I like the type of creativity that is shown from the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Creativity is super important to make your crafts extra special and unique.

      Delete
  5. I love how simple it is to make these! It's great to express your creativity in art through materials I have around the house. I like how your directions were straightforward, which makes it much easier for the reader. But mainly, expressing your artistic side through making this. Thank you for this idea. I'll experiment with a variety of materials, like types of paper, to make a perfect angel tree topper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so easy and creative. I appreciate the originality, as an artist I like little quirky things like this. If I weren't making an Angel, I'd probably do oragami star toppers which I learned how to do back in grade school.

    ReplyDelete