Rather than trying to get the butter perfectly softened all the way through in the microwave, I put the butter on top of the toaster oven and turn it on for about 5 minutes. Then I rotate it every few minutes to make sure it doesn't melt.
You could also do this with a regular toaster by setting it across the top of the toaster with a shorter amount of time.
After I made the dough and allowed it to chill for just over an hour, I rolled it into perfect balls then dipped them in the sugar mixture. To make the balls perfectly round I take an 1" by 1" chunk of dough and roll it between my hands life playdough. This makes the end result of perfectly round cookies.


The cook book says to "[Bake] for 10-11 minutes or till edges are golden. Cool cookies on wire rack"(119). While I was making them the edges became golden brown but the middle didn't really seem done, so I kept baking them. Bad idea. What I should have done is bake them for about 10 minutes and then allow them to cool first on the baking sheet and then the wire rack. If I had done this it would have made the snickerdoodles light and fluffy rather than light and hard.
Recipie:1/2 cup margine or butter
1 1/2 cups all- purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Better Homes and Gardens: New Cook Book. Des Moines: Merdith, 1989. Print.

This is a really great recipe Julia! Nice, simple and easy! The way that you explained all of the directions is great and anyone could follow along with the simplicity of it. Snickerdoodle cookies are amazing, and I definitely want to try out this recipe. Also the cookies look great!
ReplyDeleteGood idea with warming the stick of butter on the toaster oven. That seems like a great way to get the perfect consistency as well as conserve energy. :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, these look really good and I would love to try out this recipe. Nice job!
The cookies look like they turned out great. I love how you rolled the dough between you hands like Playdough, that part made me laugh and it's great that the cookies would turn out to be perfect circles after class. There is nothing I would change on this recipe because everything looks delicious and is simple to make.
ReplyDelete