Motions
Motions are the basic building blocks of cheerleading, they are the easiest and most effective way for a squad to lead and hype the crowd (Webber 83). They makeup the cheers, dance and top off the pyramid with a nice sharp move. There would be no cheers at all without the basic cheer motions that comprise it. The most important part to motions that really make or break them are the placement, sharpness and cleanness. The best way to insure that your motions are at there best is to use the four P's; Placement, perfection, precision and performing (Webber 83).
Without placing your arms the correct way your motion could completely change. Varsity says "Each motion should be sharp and precise. [to achieve this] practice with a partner or in front of a mirror." (Webber 83) This is a great trick I used when I first was learning motions. Using the mirror helps use see the correct and precise movement. Once you know the placement of each motion move on to perfection and muscle memory. Varsity has another great practice tip, "Be sure to practice both sides of any motion that is performed with one arm. You don't wan to have a strong right punch and weak left punch" (Webber 83). This goes along with the third P, precision. You want every motion to be as sharp and strong as the next. Finally when all the first three P's are perfect you can go on to the fourth P; performing. Sharp moves greatly improve a teams performance, they help lead the crowd and enhance a performance.
Being in cheer since I was four I know first hand how important motions are. I have actually used most the tips from Varsity for my own practice. I like how Varsity breaks it down into the four P's because it really helps you with each part and to put it all together so they look perfect.
Here are some of the basic motions that are used most often in cheers:
If your a cheerleader what techniques did you use to perfect your motions when first learning them?
The Editors of Varsity, and Rebecca Webber. Varsity's Ultimate Guide to Cheerleading. N.p.: Poppy, 2014. Print
These tips for motions are so helpful. If I apply these tips to my cheers and dances I will definitely look great out their. Motions are so important and impact your routine in a big way.
ReplyDelete