I am SO excited for this post because my dream has been to make a geocache of my own that random cachers can enjoy! This is one of the most important pieces of information you may gather from my blog, creating your own cache takes many steps to success. Responsibility is a required technique for owning your own cache. "As the owner of the geocache, you are ultimately responsible for it, so make sure you know the rules for the area where you place your cache," (The Editors and Staff of Geocaching.com 98).
The very first step in creating your geocache is highly needed, LOCATION!!!! You must go on to Geocaching.com and make sure your cache location meets the correct requirements list available. Consider these questions when deciding on a location, "Did you consider accessibility?" "Did you seek permission from the landowner or manager?" "Will the location placement cause unnecessary concern?". Also, make sure your cache is at least a mile away from other caches so that hunters don't get confused. For my cache I choose a medium sized box and hid it in my front yard behind the power box.
Once you have figured out the location you desire, "...save the coordinates as a waypoint. You will need to consult your GPS user manual before leaving home to learn how to save a waypoint," (The Editors and Staff of Geocaching.com 102). A waypoint is the coordinates of your cache to show fellow Geocacher where your cache is located when they are looking for it, and to tell them how close they are to the cache. Sadly, I don't have a GPS so I won't be making the geocache at this time, but I will still continue with the steps provided. Once you locate your waypoint and record them for later use, you are going to perform the next step in the process, which is recording all your information and sending it in to the Editor's and Staff of Geocaching.com so that they can approve/help you find improvements in your cache. Here is an example of my information:
You need to include all this information, and possibly more if needed in order for headquarters to judge your caching ability. After you send in this portion, it is time to wait! Geocaching.com will send you an email with proper instructions or suggestions for continuing.
"You will be notified by e-mail when your geocache is published; thereafter, you receive emails every time someone logs your geocache," (The Editor's and Staff of Geocaching.com 105).
Congrats!! You are an official Geocache owner once you have completed these steps. You only have one thing left to do, care and feeding of your geocache! I know right, feeding?? "Have a look when you can to make sure it is in good condition and stalked with trackable items," (The Editor's and Staff of Geocaching.com 106). As an owner you must check up on your cache keeping it updated and healthy for everyone available. Geocaching helps give back to the community and I hope you can enjoy making one of your own as much as I did.
Question: Where would you place your personal Geocache?

No comments:
Post a Comment