With the title, you may be reminded of the saying, "curiosity killed the cat", and you would be right on topic with that saying. Would being too curious lead to worse outcomes than to simply leave the question alone? A particular line Phillips includes catches my attention, "Maybe it's a question we shouldn't try to answer,'...'But I can't help it. If someone asks me a question, or if I think up a question , I feel like I have to try to answer it. I'm too curious!" (Phillips 199). This is from the perspective of an elementary school student thinking about the question posed. Phillips goes on about how Socrates eventually got executed for his "heretical" standpoints, and if that was for the better or worse, specifically in the curiosity that got him killed.
This is this kind of question that seems to get back at the roots of what philosophy is really about. Though i cannot get a definite answer, this question has opened my mind to other possibilities that I may have not seen before.
This is very interesting! I didn't realize how something as simple as curiosity could affect your life. In movies, especially in the horror genre, we often see people being too curious and trying to explore superstitions, which more often than not, ends in a bloodbath.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHmm... this is very insightful. I feel as if curiosity is also part of who we are as humans. There are certain levels of intensity that drive us towards an answer to satisfy these curiosities, and like mentioned by Dennis, sometimes these can lead to harmful outcomes.
ReplyDelete