When you think of yoga you may have pre-conceived notions of what yoga is. Images of people doing stretches and poses or girls in yoga pants may come to mind, which is probably a significant portion of what yoga is. “Yoga is a form of exercise that gives you… strength, endurance, balance, flexibility, and relaxation.” (Knowles 11) There are many benefits of doing yoga, including increased strength, flexibility and balance. (Knowles 11)
I joined KR Yoga Club a couple months ago, immediately after I found out it existed. I knew of its benefits, and decided to join. At that time I was the only male member. Since then, the size of KR’s yoga club has about doubled and I’m not the only guy. I assume the other guys saw me and were all like, “Dude, dudes can do this. Duuuuuuude,” or at least something like that. I invite y'alls to join us yogis on Wednesday at 3:30 for an hour in the Sports Medicine room. At first yoga may be quite difficult (the first time I attended a yoga session I was exhausted by the end and went home, took a two hour nap (I had just gotten up before going to yoga), and sat around for the rest of the day), but it gets much easier the second or third time around.
Knowles, Samantha. Beginning Yoga and Meditation. Print.

I just read your post - nice tree pose. Just FYI: I have been practicing yoga for about 15 years and when doing tree teachers usually recommend avoiding the knee - either place your foot on your shin and/or thigh or (most advanced) inner hip crease.
ReplyDeleteThank you. When I think yoga, tree pose comes to mind.
ReplyDeleteThat actually makes a lot of sense; your knee provides a good rest for your foot, but sacrifices increasing your strength and flexibility through the pose.
Way to keep at it! Fifteen years is definately a good while to be practicing yoga!
Hey Quinn, your post is very informing and entertaining as well. You are very insightful on the benefits that Yoga has to offer, I myself have benefited greatly. I love Yoga!! I planned to join KR Yoga Club this year but I've just been too busy. However, I do Yoga on my own and I use it to train before and after I run. Not only does it help my flexibility, but it is relaxing as you have said. I relate to your post a lot! Keep up the great work.
ReplyDeleteBethany
Thank you; I aim to please.
ReplyDeleteIt's really good that you're into yoga, with its benefits and all. I have difficulty getting around to doing it sometimes on my own, so it's good that you can keep with it!
If you do manage to clear up your calendar next semester, or find yourself free on a Wednesday, feel free to club it up with us!