Saturday, December 27, 2014

A Symphony of Words

Linguistics in Singing
"[Language] is like music. You can't say one note means anything. It's like a painting...there is no correspondence between the spots of paint and what you see in the picture." (Hammady 13) This saying in my book is so true. The way we communicate is a flow of words, that when put together create a symphony of ideas that range from a simple melody of "I'm hungry" to a Broadway of "I love you with all my heart..."

So why is this concept important in singing? Well, the author of my book explains that "The purpose of language is to facilitate expression and communication, not to altogether define them or contain them." (Hammady 13). Language is so important in singing because we often "talk to ourselves." Positive thoughts become positive actions. Our minds and bodies are notorious for believing what we tell them. This can be referred to as our "subconscious." The novel taught me that negative self-talk can not only affect my singing but also my quality of life. Hammady gives out a long list of positive self-talk phrases for singers to use every day to enhance their vocal performance:

  • My voice is powerful
  • My voice is beautiful
  • My voice is comfortable and healthy
  • All ranges are easy for me
  • All styles of singing are easy
  • My voice is a gift I want to share with others (Hamady 17)
By repeating these phrases every day, your subconscious will eventually succumb to those ideas and actually believe them. (Hamady 20) Making you a stronger and more confident singer!I did this exercise and I feel more confident in my vocal range. After reading this chapter of the novel, I am more knowledgeable about language and how it affects my singing and life.

Think about your negative self-talk... Even if you don't sing, what are some ways that your daily life has been affected because of the way you treat yourself and your mind?



Hamady, Jennifer. The Art of Singing: Discovering and Developing Your True Voice. Milwaukee, WI: Hal Leonard, 2009. Print.

2 comments:

  1. This is great insight Bethany! The bullet points you said also work for life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana! Yeah that's what I love about my book.

      Delete