Monday, December 1, 2014

Short Assignments

A Pencil is a Window to the Soul

The book I've chosen to use as a guideline
for successful writing.

"'Bird by bird, buddy. Just take it bird by bird'" (Lamott 19).

For many, writing is a hobby. Any scenarios played in the head can be brought to life through words on a piece of paper.

For some, writing is an escape. A way of life. Thoughts, vents, real-life events, or feelings can be portrayed in any way you'd like. Writing is a tool used to display your inner self -- a window to the soul.

The book I'm using as a guide on how to be a successful writer is Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott. Through humor and her experiences as an author, she explains to the reader how, step-by-step, bird-by-bird, a story worth publishing can be produced.

I've been a day-dreamer my whole life. Conjuring up stories in my head was something I did frequently as a kid, and when I grew older I realized that these events could be written down to create something remarkable. Something that could take a reader elsewhere, or have them fall in love with a character or setting. That's when I discovered my passion for writing fiction.


I've had this journal for too many years
to count now, but the pages are empty due
 to me tearing out anything I write in it.

"good writing is telling the truth. We are a species that needs and wants to understand who we are... We have so much we want to say and figure out" (Lamott 3).

On my first attempt to brainstorm, I followed Anne's advice and decided to write on the truth. Things that have happened to me before. She promises that once you write down on big idea, the little details will start flowing. All you need to do is write.


For this short assignment I completed, I hardly paused to think and didn't dare go back and erase or re-write anything. I just wrote and put down anything that came to mind during my encounter. I was surprised at how much detail I could pack into a scene that lasted three seconds in real life. 

This small piece of writing definitely has the potential to be transformed into something much larger.

My first short assignment, covering an encounter
I had with a Romanian gypsy near the Louvre in Paris, France.

Something to Think On: What's a short experience in your life that you believe could be transformed into a story worth reading?


8 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to the caption on the photo with your journal. I write a page, tear a page out, and do that same process over again. I feel as though my writing has to be perfect for it to be in a journal. I often find myself writing down other people's work instead of my own because I find their writing to be better. In regards to your question, I believe anyone could write a story about anything. I could write something about a family vacation or a terrible day. I love how you can find any detail and make it into a story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one that never keeps anything in my journal, even though no one else will ever see it but me! Also, thank you Angel for your thoughtful answer to my question. I like how you contrasted the positive (family vacation) with the negative (terrible day), showing that both types of events would surely have details worth writing about.

      Delete
  2. Also, will you be continuing the story you took a picture of? Or will you write another story?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angel, depending on whether or not I can brew up more content to add to this story, I may continue this story. This first encounter does link to more as I learned more about the gypsies, but I haven't decided if it's a topic I'm passionate about yet.

      Delete
  3. This writing is beautiful! I hope you continue writing FOREVER. Do you think you would ever consider possibly accumulating short stories from your life/others and creating a short anecdote book? I'm not sure what that would look like, or if it'd be interesting, just food for thought! Good Job!

    AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rachel! I'm planning on it, I don't think it's a hobby I'll abandon too soon. c: As for your story idea, I don't think that will happen. I'm more interested in writing fiction. If a book of short stories were fiction based on life events, then possibly! Thank you for the sweet comment and birthday wishes!

      Delete
  4. Your explanations of writing as a way to escape is a great way to explain it for people that love to write. You clearly show and support how the book has helped you become a better writer.
    love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Corinna! I feel as though writing is an escape both physically and mentally; it keeps you busy physically and serves as a place to let your thoughts escape mentally. Love you too chica!

      Delete