Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Training for a Faster Race

Practice is a key component to improve in any skill. In Alberto Salazar's Guide to Road Racing, he lists the four factors of having a fast race. Two of these factors are quality and quantity of training. In order to understand these two factors and why they help, Salazar goes in detail about different elements of running and their interaction with bodily processes

Obviously running requires energy, and there are two main types of energy that muscles use.
     Number one is anaerobic energy, which is energy that doesn't require oxygen
     Number two is  aerobic energy which does require oxygen.

Salazar explains that "Anaerobic metabolism will carry you at maximum pace through a 200-meter sprint and can give you a substantial boost for about 2 minutes" (Salazar 25) This might be fine for anything less that an 800 meter race, but distance runners will need more.

My training schedule
Aerobic energy is what distance runners will need, in order to maintain a quick pace.

Base training is the main type of training used to improve aerobic system. Base training is simply the amount of miles that you run per week. These workouts should not be run at anything than 85%.(Salazar 26) This used to be the only type of training that elite distance athletes used to do, but they have discovered now that they can improve by doing faster workouts as well.

Speed workouts consist of intervals and repetitions of certain distances, each faster than your race pace. Depending on the type of speed training, some can increase the maximum amount of oxygen consumption per minute of your body, while others will improve your body's efficiency in using this energy.

Knowing of these types of training, and why they work, I can feel confident following these workouts because I will know on the day of the race that my training has prepared me for the event

My question to you is: How can you adjust your schedule to improve in weaker areas? (whether in running or in life)

4 comments:

  1. Nathan, this post is very good as it also includes the bodily functions used for running. I had never known that there were two types of energy used by the muscle, and seeing this shows how each area can be improved. This post is educational and it is also helpful in a training perspective

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Armin! I think it's very important to know why different types of training works.This helps your confidence during a race because you can be sure you've prepared. I'm glad others can learn from my posts. Thanks again for the input!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nathan!
    I'm not actually a runner but more of a swimmer, but I can see how this can apply to me also. Like Armin, I also did not know that here were two types of energy used by the muscle. I will try the tips given in swim and see if they will give the same expected result. To answer your question, I can adjust my schedule to improve in my weaker areas by getting to my homework right after I get home from swim practice. This will help me free up more time to study in the subjects I have trouble in.

    ReplyDelete