After flipping through The Gourmet Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Lynn Alley, I was inspired by this artichoke dish I saw. The original dish in the book had the artichokes stuffed with the kind of stuffing you eat for Thanksgiving. As a newbie to artichokes, I didn't want to go all in and mess up, having to throw everything away in the end if I did, so I just started simple by just trying to cook the artichokes.
Ingredients
- 3 medium or 2 large artichokes
- 4 cups of water
- Cut the stems off the artichokes and take off any of the extra leaves
- Slice off about one-third of the top of each artichoke, this will remove the majority of the thorns and you will be able to see the center of the artichoke.
- Rinse the vegetables thoroughly, then place them in a slow cooker. "An oval-shaped cooker works best" (Alley 82). Pour in the 4 cups of water, cover, and cook on low for about 6 hours or until a fork can easily pierce through the stem end or a leaf can be easily pulled off of the artichoke.
- Carefully remove the artichokes from the water using tongs and put the vegetables into a strainer so that any excess water will drain.
- Peal and eat the ends of the artichokes (Serves 2-3)
![]() |
| Notice the stem of the artichoke |
![]() |
| The finishing product should look something like this |
"Artichokes are not for everyone they have a sort of distinct taste that you either hate it or love it" (Alley 82). This may be true, but they sure are one of my favorite vegetables, and it is worth the 6 hours of cooking. This easy recipe is worth the try.
What's your favorite artichoke recipe? If you just like artichokes plain, what recipe would you like to enjoy?


Corinna, I admire how you're sticking to the basics first before getting fancy with cooking. It really shows you pay attention to detail and want to master certain skills before you try something complicated. Also, while those are fab artichoke pictures, it would have been fun to see a picture of the outcome of your cooking. Keep doing what you do!
ReplyDeleteI wish I could have uploaded my own but I am not very tech savvy ;) Thank you for understanding how I want to "master these skills" before I go on to harder recipes.
DeleteHey Corinna! It sounds like you are really focused on your recipes and the steps to take so that your cooking comes out perfectly, great job with your organization and execution of your cooking. Keep up the fantastic work!
ReplyDelete<3 Bethany
Thank you Bethany for the lovely comment :O
Deletewow amazing blog! I cannot help but notice your love for artichokes. The pictures are fantastic and it really gets me craving artichokes! I am a newbie to artichokes as well and I think I will definitely try out your cooking process for the artichokes one of theses days since it was easy for you! Have a fantastic day! :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Soph, that comment really made my day:)
DeleteThis recipe makes artichokes seem much more appealing than they do at first! What were your initial thoughts when tasting your finished creation?
ReplyDeleteWell thank you for the compliment Ryan Mere! My first thought was that it was sour and my second was that it needed some kind of sauce. But overall it was quite tasty.
DeleteSteamed artichokes?!??! Sounds delicious... I love artichokes. Might have to try it. Good job Corinna, also thanks for explaining thoroughly how to do this recipe. Maybe artichoke dip next?? :)
ReplyDelete