This past
year I have been exploring the world of digital and film photography. I have
learned the basics of photography by taking classes and researching it online,
but I wanted to focus in on a specific topic that interested me, which is
photographing cities.
To help me
learn about the things it would take to be able to photograph cities I got a
book entitled Photographing Buildings and
Cityscapes by Mitchell Beazley. In one
of the sections in the book it talks about organizing chaos in a picture. It
explains how in some scenarios what you are trying to capture can be a little
cluttered, so they recommend to “find a strong pattern or point of interest
that can guide the viewer through the scene and bring unity to the image”. With
this in mind I went to downtown Seattle and took this picture.
By
following the advice from the book I found a strong point of interest which is the
statue (far right), and the wires (far left) create leading lines that bring
the viewer eyes through the scene. By doing this it created a visually pleasing
photo that not only shows the hustle and bustle of the city but also allows all the chaos to be organized into one photo.

This is a great photo! I love how the picture is in black and white, which focuses on the story, rather than in color, which would bring to light the "chaos." How a place is seen is in the hands of the photographer, who conveys many messages. The way Seattle is captured through this photograph is amazing.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I tried keeping the picture as simple as possible considering there was so much going on in it.
DeleteI love how the SAM man looks like a shadow and that you used the rule of thirds and filled the frame. That is such good composition of the photo! Being an amateur photographer as well, I hope you keep shooting!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the nice comment! I tried keeping in mind things like the rule of thirds and leading lines to help keep the picture visually pleasing. Good luck on your photography as well!
DeleteVery cool effect on the photo! I love the more hazy monochrome look rather than stark black and white, and it gave it a very calm, undisturbed feel. "Organizing Chaos" is the perfect way to sum up the hustle and bustle of the city into a tranquil photo!
ReplyDeleteThank you! I intentionally made the picture black and white to emphasize the "chaotic" scene. I'm glad that you noticed the calm feel of the photo, i agree that it really summed up the hustle and bustle of the city.
DeleteHello Ayisha,
ReplyDeletethis is great photograph! I'm really liking the monochrome effect that is in the photo. It is not too bright, nor too contrasted.
I am really liking the simplicity of the picture, because the image isn't engulfed with flashy bright color, but it resulted into a very calm piece.
Keep up with the good work!