Using Instincts to Uncover a Healthy Voice
"For the great enemy of truth is very often not the lie--deliberate, contrived, and dishonest--but the myth: persuasive, persistent, and unrealistic." --John F. Kennedy
The author of my book “The Art of Singing” taught me about common misconceptions of singing:
- Singing and speaking are two completely different processes
- Most people are born with average voices and no amount of training could help
- singing in your chest voice is bad for you
- you must practice hours upon hours to sing well (Hammady 7)
By debunking myths about singing, she teaches me how to correctly train my voice. I have learned to recognize, listen, and trust my instincts. In this way, I unlearn all of the technique, physical
tensions, rigid breathing, and pinched throat that need to be released, not
educated or trained. Consequently, the first step to a better voice is establishing how I want my voice to feel and sound, then believe that I can accomplish that sound regardless of my current beliefs or opinions of other people. (Hamady 8)
This novel has helped me improve my
vocal ability by showing me the realities of singing. For example she says overall, that many vocal habits stemming from mental conditioning rather than from bad technique are easy to correct. I have learned that I should be "...developing a relationship that I have chosen consciously and proactively, rather than default to one chosen for me long ago." (Hammady 12) So this means that I should focus on how I want to develop my voice in ways that I believe are best for me, and not following traditional, stereotypical, and classical philosophies that can sometimes tell me to do otherwise (in order to achieve maximum vocal ability).
"This principle extends far beyond the realm of singing. Socially constructed beliefs exist in the arenas of work, relationships, and beauty." (Hammady 7) What I like about my book is it teaches me how to become a better singing by applying whole life lessons and addressing issues that as a whole, can not only improve my singing but my quality of life.
Have you ever believed something to be true that wasn't? What myths and beliefs exist in our society about the way things should be? (appearance, life, etc.) Let me know what you think are the biggest pressures that affect you!
Hamady, Jennifer. The Art of Singing: Discovering and Developing Your True Voice. Milwaukee, WI: Hal Leonard, 2009. Print.
Good job Bethany! It really sounds like you are making this lesson/experience worth your while. Keep up the great singing!
ReplyDeleteThanks Dana you're sweet. :)
ReplyDeleteWow Wow there, that's talent that you have, wonderful talent, wish I could sing, but you have a beautiful, soothing voice, love the cover, good job. Saw most of your YouTube videos and they're awesome, keep on singing, AMAZING!!!!
ReplyDeleteAw thank you so much!!! That's so nice of you :) I saw your blog too you're AMAZING at doing hair, don't ever stop! You have a lot talent!!
DeleteBethany I loved your beginning quote, so true! The books sounds very philosophical and you explained it very well to me. The whole concept of not seeing singing as what we think it actually is, I love it. I also loved your cover keep up the good work.
ReplyDeletelove you
Thank you Corinna :) <3
Delete