Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Being Happier: Part 3


For this post, I'll be combining two activities mentioned in The Happiness Project: singing in the morning and bringing people together.



Rubin writes, "Singing has a real cheering effect. I'd become a true believer of the 'Act the way I want to feel'" (Rubin 94). Rubin also wrote that all different kinds of people will benefit from connecting with others. Being the one to connect others also brings joy (Rubin 148). If I connected people through singing, I could hit two birds with one stone and create even more happiness.



A picture of the sky I took yesterday morning

If you thought I would be organizing a musical, unfortunately, you thought wrong. I decided to do something a bit more low-key for this blog since I'm not the best singer, morning person, or get-together organizer.



Yesterday morning, I had a doctor’s appointment at seven in the morning. It was the only opening for an appointment that they had before Christmas so my mom reluctantly took it. On the way home, we were both grumpy and tired. I realized it would be a perfect opportunity to “connect” and sing. I asked if we could get coffees at Starbucks and she said yes. In the car on the way there, I turned on the radio and cranked up the volume. Before I knew it, my mom and I were singing (and laughing) along to my mom’s favorite song—“All I Want For Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey.



I know the singing and being with my mom sounds kind of silly and embarrassing (and it was), but it was actually pretty fun, too. My mom has recently been working a lot so it was nice to spend some time with her and do something that helped put us both in a better mood.



Do you like to sing (even just in the shower)? Do you think it puts you in a better mood?



Citation:
Rubin, Gretchen. The Happiness Project. New York: Harper Collins, 2010. Print.

4 comments:

  1. Yet another awesome post. I love to sing (especially in the shower). I think that it does put me in a better mood, and I also think that even if someone is a terrible singer (like muah) they should still do it because of its wonderful effect on moods and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellen,
    Thank you again for your kind words. I too am a huge fan of both singing in the shower and the car since it doesn't really matter what you sound like (even though I'm sure you're a lot better than you think).

    -Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie! I'm a singer and I can 100% back you up that singing puts me in a better mood. Your post is very accurate and interesting, I love the topic you chose, good job!

    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bethany,
      Thank you very much! It was a very interesting topic to read about. It completely makes sense that singing cheers people up but I have never really thought about it until coming across the section on it in my book.

      -Marie

      Delete