Monday, November 30, 2015

The Socratic Method

I suppose I should start off by telling you that Socrates did not create this method, as Christopher Phillips explains that Socrates merely modeled the practice of philosophy. Christopher Phillips continues on to say that "Those who become smitten with the Socratic method of philosophical inquiry thrive on the question" (24). This seems to be a silly way of saying that this is a practice of asking questions. Depending on your current activity this might be absolutely ridiculous or feasible. Applying this to your own method of thinking will be very situation-based.









So to make up for a lack of application I will use cooking and learning an instrument as examples. Some questions you may ask normally could include, "why am I cooking?", "why am I learning this instrument?". You may have some definite answers, "I am actually interested", or "I have no choice". Why not answer with even more questions instead? Some questions you could answer with could be "why am I interested?", "why do I have no choice", "what makes me interested (if you are)", these are some of the questions that you can expand upon if you wish to do so. As asking questions seems to be the main idea here, I'll ask a question: can questions answer some of your questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment