Too lazy to go out and buy a pizza and feeling a little creative? Using ingredients you already have in you're home, you can make mini pizzas that are healthier and contain delicious ingredients that you are making yourself! So instead of going out and buying a pizza, spend some time and prepare something delicious that everyone will like! I found this recipe from the book, Cooking In Style The Costco Way & under "Appetizers".
1 loaf Grace Baking* Pugliese artisan bread
2/3 cup of olive oil
4 garlic cloves, peeled
2 cups Italian tomato or pasta sauce
4 cups grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup chopped fresh basil
Steps:
1. Preheat broiler or grill
2. Cut bread into 1/2-inch slices
3. Brush each slice lightly with olive oil. Toast slices under a broiler or on a grill.
*Something to remember is leave them for about 10 minutes until they're golden brown* (Casey 30)
4. After taking the bread out of the grill/boiler rub the warm bread with garlic cloves. Always "Drizzle with olive oil" (30) - this will make it a little messier, but is a better strategy than just spreading the olive oil. With a spoon, use about 2 tablespoons of pasta on each slice of bread. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Put the bread back into the boiler or grill for 4-5 minutes while cheese melts and bread is golden.
6. Finish it off with some basil and serve immediately.
Have you ever transformed an overpriced and unhealthy food into something both healthy and delicious, made in your own home?
Wow this looks so tasty! I would love to try this recipe over break and I think this would make a nice lunch! I'll remember to brush each side of the bread in olive oil to help them reach a nice golden brown color. I have made many different sandwiches that I elevated using the ingredients in my own home and incorporating that with pizza sounds even better! Have you tried different types of breads or cheeses when making your pizzas/sandwiches?
ReplyDelete