Sunday, November 29, 2015

3 Tips to Getting a Better Curl




3 Tips to Getting a Better Curl



Have you ever wondered why no matter how hard you try you can’t quite seem to get that perfect curl that actually lasts throughout the entire day and doesn’t fall flat the moment you step outside? You may just be missing out on a few simple steps you can take during the curling process that will make a major difference on how your curls not only turn out once you are done, but how they hold up throughout the day. Here are a few easy steps you can take to make your curls last and look better than ever!

Tip #1:
Believe it or not, the fate of your curls is determined before your curling wand even touches your hair. Try to not pile on an excessive amount of hair products into your hair before you begin to curl. Sometimes it’s best to even skip product all together. According to Lauren Conrad, beauty and fashion expert, “Less is more. Products can end up working against you. Ideally, when curling your hair, you want it to be as clean as possible.” (Conrad 209)
The only product that is highly recommended you use before you begin curling is a heat protectant. This will save your hair from heat damage, which is what causes dry/brittle ends. This is my personal favorite heat protectant from L’Oréal Paris.
Tip #2:
After each piece you have curled, pin it up with a bobby pin or any hair clip that works for you and leave it in until you have completed your entire head. This will make each curl much stronger and shaped, holding in the curl far better than if you were to just let it go, which is what most women do when curling their hair. This is called setting your curls which according to Lauren, “Extends the staying power of your curls and makes a huge difference on how long and how well your curls last.” (Conrad 213)
                          
(Without setting)                                                              (With Setting)
Tip #3:
I know it is so tempting to coat your curls in hairspray when you are done to be absolutely sure nothing falls out of place, but I strongly recommend you attempt to refrain from this commonly made mistake. According to Lauren, “You’d be surprised by how often over spraying can ruin your look more than dancing can.” (Conrad 209) Sometimes too much hairspray can give you the result that is completely opposite from the one you were striving for. Hairspray can do its job most effectively by keeping the spray light, moving it around your head and not harshly targeting one specific area.
This is my favorite hairspray that is ranked in the top seven hairsprays used by women across the nation, according to Allure Magazine and Total Beauty’s respected website. It holds the curl very well throughout the day and also smells amazing!

Hopefully you found these tips helpful for getting a better and longer lasting curl. I know there are so many different complicated techniques and expensive products out there that are used by celebrity hair stylists and celebrities themselves, but just a few simple tweaks can be made that don't break the bank and can make your curls look amazing, no glam team needed! Happy Curling!


My final question to the reader: What tip was most useful to you and why?


 Conrad, Lauren, and Elise Loehnen. Lauren Conrad Beauty. New York: HarperCollins, 2012. Print.








4 comments:

  1. This helped so much! I have been doing everything wrong when curling my hair. I can apply these three tips to my Game day hair and make up for cheering at games so that it can last throughout the whole game. I especially like the setting tip. It showed such a huge difference between each curl. Nice Job Jessica this will defiantly benefit me (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comment Marissa! I'm glad you found it helpful! Thank you for taking the time to read it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so helpful! I will definitely keep these tips in mind the next time I curl my hair. I find that the most useful tip for me is tip #2, the setting the curl tip. I can see how that can really help hold a curl throughout the day.
    Is there a specific way to curl your hair? I know there is some controversy whether you should curl towards your head or away and I'm wondering if that even makes a difference!
    Thanks for posting such a useful tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really helpful! Thank you for showing us how to make our curls last all day, these tips were great. I've tried out this technique and it definitely did work. Great job! What sized curling iron did you use on Lexi?

    ReplyDelete