Monday, November 30, 2015

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

Baking breads can be a stressful task, having to wait for the dough to rise and baking for hours but making sure they don't burn. One bread that isn't nearly as hard to make is banana bread. I love to make banana bread for my family becuase it is one of the quick and easy "mouth-watering breads that doesn't require a lot of time" (Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book 56).

One trick I learned while making this specific recipie for banana bread is that you should wait till the bread is completly cool to take it out of the pan rather than going straight from teh pan to a wire rack. This lessened the amount of bread that stuck to the pan. Another trick that is mentioned in the book is to "Pour [the] batter into a greased 8x4x2-inch loaf pan" (56). This was very helpful not only when I took the bread out of the oven but it also helped the batter slide into the pan smoothly. 
The recipie I used called for chopped nuts, I decided to substitute in chocolate chips because of my allergy towards nuts. 

The Recipie:
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar 
2 teaspoons baking powder 
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 seaspoon salt 
1 cup mashed ripe banana (2-3 medium bananas)
1/3 cup shortening 
2 tablespoons milk 
2 eggs
1/4 cup chocolate chips 

Better Homes and Gardens: New Cook Book. Des Moines: Merdith, 1989. Print.

1 comment:

  1. This is a very well-thought out analysis of the banana bread recipe. Adapting the bread to accommodate your allergy was not only a necessity, but also important to get the right measurements in relation to the given recipe. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete