Thursday, December 24, 2015

Figure Drawing : Drawing From Imagination

Being an artist starts from learning to copy. Especially as a growing artist who is just learning the basics of life itself. It's very important to be specific with anatomy as an artist. A body moves, changes between sexes and angles. Imitating such from imagination begins from the inside out.... Literally! Artists learn to layer on muscles and fat once an artist has a throughout understanding of the skeleton.
The author states, "Ignorance upon demands upon you is as great a handicap as ignorance of anatomy" (Loomis, 58). This derives from how little mistakes an artist can have in their anatomy can ruin a piece. Essentially the author warns artists the dangers of not learning from the basics. Aka the skeleton. Drawing the anatomy requires the artist to maintain a fluidity throughout the piece. A pose is never stiff, "curvature in the bones [have] much to do with the rhythm and action of a figure. It helps make it appear alive" (Loomis, 57)
 Of course, I had to learn this too. In all my years of drawing I never thought to study muscles in order to draw anatomy. Amazingly, it's helped me as you can see in the second picture where I've applied the curvatures of the body into poses. I would also like to mention how my lines are neater, more curved naturally and look nicer on the body. I believe this is the first few steps of achieving or even bettering myself as an artist as I'm more confident to try different poses without sketching each shape. So how did I go? Do you believe that the curves shown in these pictures are accurate tot he human body? What curves do you see in your OWN body?
Make sure to leave a comment below! I would love to hear how each body type is portrayed through not only the eyes of a artist, but yours!


Loomis, Andrew. A Guide to Figure Drawing : For All It's Worth. N.p.: Titan, 1944. Print.


6 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! It looks a lot more realistic than your first post; I can definitely tell that you're acquiring new skills and putting them to use. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very well drawn out and detailed. I have realized I am not able to draw from imagination but instead I am a more visual person, keeping this post in mind will help me the next time I draw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you the best of luck then! I would be look forward into seeing some of your work in the future. This guide and I will be here to instruct you if ever necessary. I too am a very visual person and often learn visually in opposed to reading something. Which is probably why I like to learn art so much.

      Delete
    2. I wish you the best of luck then! I would be look forward into seeing some of your work in the future. This guide and I will be here to instruct you if ever necessary. I too am a very visual person and often learn visually in opposed to reading something. Which is probably why I like to learn art so much.

      Delete
  3. You are so talented!!! I really liked how you incorporated anatomy in your drawing and labeled the important body parts. From my experience in taking on a Sports Med class and learning about the anatomy first hand, I can say this is very accurate. I would have to agree that curves shown in your drawings are accurate to the human body and I notice curves around the deltoid area and bicep areas both on arms and legs. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are extremely talented! These drawings look very realistic and I can tell you've put a lot of effort into these drawings. Well done, I look forward to seeing more work from you!

    ReplyDelete