According to Robertson, most shapes are round, square/flat, or cylindrical, and these shapes are paired together in various combinations to create various objects. The book provided photographs of cubes, sphere, and cylinders in various lighting; I used them as reference points when trying to recreate the pictures.
I began with trying to paint a cube with light from the front. The light from the front cast a slight shadow behind the cube. The further away from the camera, the darker the cube's faces because of the shadow that the light cast. In order to portray this shading using watercolor, "blend the paint... but use more values and blend it a little more smoothly" (Robertson 28).
It didn't turn out exactly the way I wanted; the top face is too dark, and the shadow is barely distinguishable from the left face, but with a little more practice I'll be able to create better values to paint realistic objects.
Which type of lighting do you think would be most difficult to draw or paint and why?
Robertson, Jeanette. Watercolor 101: Techniques for the Absolute Beginner. New York: Sterling Pub., 2007. Print.
Robertson, Jeanette. Watercolor 101: Techniques for the Absolute Beginner. New York: Sterling Pub., 2007. Print.


This is really cool! I really liked how you applied the scale technique from your earlier post into this shading exercise. Nice job!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Lala! I liked how smooth your brush strokes look; the values look consistent, which is great! I agree, it can be hard for me to add depth and shadows with watercolor too, especially with spheres. There's just something about certain shapes that's hard to blend color well with. When I used to paint a lot more, I found that learning how to control the amount of water you use is really helpful with this. The tricky part is maintaining clean lines when you use more water to get a lighter shade.
ReplyDeleteHey Lala! I liked how smooth your brush strokes look; the values look consistent, which is great! I agree, it can be hard for me to add depth and shadows with watercolor too, especially with spheres. There's just something about certain shapes that's hard to blend color well with. When I used to paint a lot more, I found that learning how to control the amount of water you use is really helpful with this. The tricky part is maintaining clean lines when you use more water to get a lighter shade.
ReplyDelete