Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Theater Audition

 - - - (Powell 204-5)

This past month I had auditions for the spring production at our school, Hairspray. The section helped me prepare for this audition, although I still wish I did a few things differently.

The first thing this section starts off saying is that an audition is a job interview. Your chances can be ruined if you are unprepared, or even if you're having a off day. The first thing suggested to prepare for your audition is to do background research about your chosen monolog. For this audition we didn't have monologs. Instead, we had to sing a cut from a song, so I did background research on my song instead. The song I chose, My Strongest Suit, was from the musical Aida, and was sung by Princess Amneris of Egypt. At the beginning of the musical, there were a man and woman touring the Egyptian wing of a museum, when they were transported back in time to Ancient Egypt, where the story takes place. All of this gave me perspective on the song, and some of the lyrics popped out as making more sense. For example, the lyric "I ensure that every stitch is stitched in time" is not just saying that everything needs to be done on time, but is also a reference to how the characters went back in time.

This section of my book also advises to avoid dressing up on costumes or bringing a bunch of props, because that seems amateur. Instead, it advises to dress like yourself in order to express your personality. However, you have to make an effort. Don't dress in sloppy clothes or anything that shows you're unprofessional. Dress like yourself, only the best version of yourself.


Finally, this section reminds you that even if you do an amazing job, there are many factors that go into whether or not you get a part besides your skill as an actor. A director might just not be able to imagine you playing the part that they're looking for. It reminds the reader that the more audition opportunities you get, the greater the chance is that you'll be cast!

For those of you reading this who auditioned for Hairspray, how was your audition? What do you think you could've improved on?

No comments:

Post a Comment