Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Winter Wonderland Effect

Chocolate Chip Cookies are always an easy go-to cookie. Almost everyone likes them and they are usually simple to make.  Chocolate Chip is perfect "for any occasion, from after-school snacks to holiday-dinner deserts" (Better Home and Gardens New Cook Book 104). Normally I would use an old for family recipie but for this assignment I used my IRP book.

One thing that all Chocolate Chip recipies have in common is the amount of flour used - lots. When baking with lots of flour something I call the 'Winter Wonderland Effect' usually occurs. This is when you put all the flour in the mixer, turn it on, and poof! The flour is no longer in mixing bowl, it is all over the counter, floor and everything inbetween.




To solve this problem there are many options, one being buying a fancy sheild thing that attactches to the mixing bowl. I find this bulky and they never seem to work properly. The best way to keep the flour from turning your kitchen into a 'Winter Wonderland' is to take a medium size dish towel and drape it over the mixer and bowl.

This keeps the flour in the bowl while minimizing the amount of dishes you have to wash when you're finished.

Recipie:
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine (I always use butter)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 12-ounce package of chocolate pieces (I used chocolate chips)
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

After trying these cookies, it was determined by my many taste testers that old family recipes are always the best, but this was a good and fun alternative.

Better Homes and Gardens: New Cook Book. Des Moines: Merdith, 1989. Print.

1 comment:

  1. I liked how in your post you added techniques and tips to help with chocolate chip cookie making process. I also wanted to point out one of those tips that you used when decreasing the amount of flour that exerts out of the kitchenaid when mixing your ingredients by simply putting a kitchen towel or just cheese cloth over the mixer. Inconnection of making messes when baking or just cooking in general it does help to have some type of protection. Overall, I thought you did really well baking the chocolate chip cookies! :)

    ReplyDelete