Saturday, December 5, 2015

The Truth About Your Plane

The ideal way to play golf would be to swing the club in a vertical plane-like a pendulum. That way your club would never deviate from your target line, adn assuming you could also devise a way to keep the clubface square to the target. With the perfect vertical plane you are bound to hit every shot straight! One of the most important parts of a golfer's swing is the plane that their swing follows. There are two main planes golfers tend to hit; flat and upright. An upright plane gives the golfer his best chance of swinging the club along the target line at impact. It is easiest to think of an upright plane as hitting in a hulla hoop, following the hulla hoop ring as you swing back and forwards. A flat plane shot tends to look like a golfer is swinging a baseball bat as the golfer's arms and hands are more horizontal to the ball and their ball. Nicklaus shows what plane he prefers as he says, "I prefer an upright swing plane because it seems to me the less I move the club off the target line, the better my chance of swinging the clubhead along the target line at impact by using the upright plane" (34). 


If you tilt your head to the right, you can see that I am swinging applying the upright plane. My body is more up and my arms are almost vertical in my backswing

If you tilt your head to the right, you can see that I am now swinging applying the flat plane. My arms are more horizontal and flat in my backswing. 

I found that I was most successful at getting the best accuracy at keeping my ball on my target line using the upright plane just like most golfers prefer. 

Why do you think these different planes effect a golfers target line?

No comments:

Post a Comment