This sign is one of the most photogenic features of Seattle, yet it is not taken into consideration at different angles. As you walk across the street light and approach the top of the steep hill leading to Pike Place Market, you will see this sign straight on with shops and the water behind it. Many will stop about halfway down the hill to take a picture and then never look at the sign again. Tom Ang tells how it is possible to enhance the appearance of a piece of architecture by contrasting it with deep blue skies.
My first image was taken with the flash on an aperture priority setting (aperture is the hole that exposes light through a camera, so aperture priority values the light of an image). This caused the gloomy, rainy sky to come out very bright. Ang suggested to "use a long exposure to maximize depth of field for overall sharpness" (Ang 241). For the second image, I took the aperture priority off and switched to the shutter priority (how fast the picture is taken or for how long it is exposed). This gave the picture much more depth and texture within the clouds. It made the tone and overall feel of the image more dark, representing the weather that day. Also, if you look closely you can see a bird at the top of the sign. In the first image it's not clear, but in the second it stands out within the sky and creates a silhouette.
Overall, when capturing pieces of architecture and signs, it's important to incorporate parts of the sky and nature. It creates a dramatic effect around the object and separates a typical picture from a unique picture.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI've seen many pictures of this sign above the Pike Street Market. So many, in fact, that I don't photograph it myself, because I don't feel as if my picture sill be any different than others. However, the second picture you've taken is different from any of the ones that I've seen before. I love how the cloud behind the sign is so clear in that picture, and the silhouette of the bird looks better than the first picture too. However, I prefer the framing of the first, since the sign is more centered in the first picture than in the second, leaving less empty space.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work!
This information is super cool! That sign is photographed all the time, but now I can make my own pictures more unique. I have also applied this to different pictures, to create more depth and a more dramatic picture.
ReplyDeleteI never thought that depth and shutter intervals would affect the result of the image. In fact, it turned out great! I love the more dark and grungy look it gives, simple attributes to our own hometown, Seattle. The red pops from the dark cloud in the back, an object I would have never noticed in the first picture.
ReplyDeleteI never thought that depth and shutter intervals would affect the result of the image. In fact, it turned out great! I love the more dark and grungy look it gives, simple attributes to our own hometown, Seattle. The red pops from the dark cloud in the back, an object I would have never noticed in the first picture.
ReplyDeleteDidnt think such simple things could make such a big difference, but clearly the red of the sign is much more vivid when against a darker background rather than a lighter one.
ReplyDelete