| Kentridge High School Musical of "Fame" |
Video of my mom, sister, and I playing a short improv. game
Some ways to improvise are:
- Working someone- which is using an assistant to help an actor/actress to improvise with someone else instead of "putting the responsibility all on one person [and] helps them work more calmly." (pg. 94)
- Blocking and Accepting- instead of blocking action (avoiding movement and trying to just talk or create speech), good improvisers develop action.
Some games for "Blocking and Accepting":
- Two Places: Playing a scene in which "one character plays, for example, waiting at a bus stop, while another character claims that the stage is his living room, and so on." (pg. 100).
- Presents: a game to " 'overaccept' [an] offer [of the present]." (pg. 100).
- Verse: to "improvise in verse." (pg. 104). You "fake up a verse by deciding what to write, and then thinking up the rhymes, but if you're asked to improvise it you just have to abandon conscious control, and let the words come of their own accord" (pg. 104).
Hi Alexandria, this is a great post. I loved how you included text, a picture AND a video. I also think that your suggested improvisational games sound very interesting and I might try them. I'm not involved in theatre, but I think that being good at improvising in general is very helpful in many aspects of life. Like you said, an actor might forget their next lines, but a politician might forget their speech, a dancer might forget their choreography, a math student might forget how to solve a certain problem, and so on. If you know how to improvise, you will be more calm in unexpected situations and you'll (like you said) take action faster.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Marie; the contents of this blog post enhances the message. Although not interested in theatre, I am interested in trying out your suggestions. This would definitely help in the real world. As someone who has to rehearse and fully memorize speeches, I would love to develop this ability. Improv provides more freedom.
ReplyDeleteYeah.... Thanks for what both of you said. It's true that you can improv. in other subjects other than theatre. To make this a more interesting topic, do you think I should put other subjects in as well to show that improv works for them?
ReplyDeleteI like your blog and how you included pictures and videos. I like how you gave suggestions for improv.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what everyone is saying, I think that you adding pictures and a video helped demonstrate theatre improv.
ReplyDelete