In 8th grade, my English teacher gave me a journal and told me to write what I was feeling. The journal had all kinds of intricate designs on the cover, as well as green and pink floral accents. I remember feeling amused at the fact of writing down my thoughts. What was I? A second grader? Was I to title every journal entry with "Dear Diary?"
Fast forward to two years later. Instead of ridiculing writing, now, I am struggling to continue writing. Often times, I have come across the dilemma of finding inspiration or topics to write about. Undoubtedly, every writer has this issue. However, you can find inspiration anywhere.
![]() |
| The Crafty Poet: A Portable Workshop is a book that contains a collection of interviews, poems, prompts, and tips for poets - all of which I will be referencing throughout this blog. |
Diane Lockward, author of The Crafty Poet: A Portable Workshop, resorts to the three R's when looking for inspiration. "Identify your best resources of inspiration. Return to them when needed. For me, it's the Three R's: Reading, Regarding, and Remembering" (Lockward 7) When reading a poem, Lockward gives the following advice: "Is there an image that grabs you? If so, try to imitate it in a new poem. Is there some unusual sentence structure that you might try at hand" (Lockward 7)? When regarding, Lockward offers the advice of keeping a notebook with you at all times. One can observe and take notes while out and about. The final 'R' that Lockward states is remembering. "Make a list of important events from a particular year. Try freewriting about this" (Lockward 8). Obviously, Lockward has given writers a well-suited foundation of inspiration. However, there are many more ways writers can find inspiration. Another idea taken from the book is to use another poet as a muse. "... Trying on another poet's voice, seems worthwhile to me - a kind of cross-training and a way to experiment without being too self conscious about it" (Lockward 14). Taking on another writer's voice can not only let you try new techniques and styles, but also, allow you to put yourself in different scenarios.
The main points that Lockward gives in the novel in regards to finding inspiration is:
1) Reading pieces of writing and looking for things that stick out to you as important.
2) Carrying a pencil and notebook everywhere in case inspiration strikes you.
3) Making a list of important things and freewriting about this. [Or maybe just freewriting in journal could spark some inspiration]
4) Using someone else's writing as a muse.
Using Lockward's advice, I have started carrying around a journal with me to write down notes and any ideas that I may come across while going about my day. However, I have also discovered several other sources of inspiration that could be useful to other writers.
1) Music. Music can be an incredibly useful tool when looking for inspiration. You could write something based off of song lyrics. Find a song that you enjoy - whether or not it is the melody or the lyrics. Write something inspired off of that.
2) Changing your environment. Often times, a change in your environment can start the flow of creativity. Going to an art museum or heading to the beach can not only give you inspiration, but give your writing a different tone due to the change of atmosphere. Drawing from personal experience, during the summer, I would head out of the house at night [maybe 2-3AM when it was dark and silent in the neighborhood] and I would go and sit in the park with just a notebook and a pen. Was it scary? Yes. Could I have been kidnapped? Yes again. Did I accidentally trip and fall while stumbling around in the dark? Yes. However, just the mere adventure of going to the park at night gave me something to write about. Changing your environment to find inspiration is extremely helpful when looking for something to write about.
3) Pictures. The famous phrase, "A picture is worth a thousand words" is quite relevant in this case. Pictures can be an incredible source of inspiration for a writer. One can describe how they feel about the picture, describe what they think is going on, and much more. I have started putting photos throughout my journal so that if I am lacking inspiration, I can go to a photo and start rambling. Often times, this can spark up some topic that one can write about.
4) Quotes. Like pictures, Quotes can be used to aid a writer when looking for inspiration. One can take a famous quote and expand on the idea or concept or add their own idea/opinion.
As a writer, looking for inspiration can be difficult. However, one can write about anything.
I challenge you to take this topic and write about it [it'd be cool if you could post your response to the topic in the comments too] :
The bible was written by the same people who said the Earth was flat.
[disclaimer: this topic is not meant to offend any people with religious beliefs. it is merely a conversation starter (: ]
[disclaimer: this topic is not meant to offend any people with religious beliefs. it is merely a conversation starter (: ]
What do you think of this phrase? Why do you think that?
Citation: Lockward, Diane. The Crafty Poet: A Portable Workshop. Nicholasville, KY: Wind Publications, 2013. Print.


First of all, I would like to say that I am proud of you as growing so much as a writer and I'm happy to see that you are taking steps to continue in this hobby. Secondly, here is my response to your topic:
ReplyDeleteI am not religious. I am not attacking those who wrote the bible, or those who follow it. The way I see it, science has always been a mixture of observation and experimentation while religion is a mixture of observation and faith. Science (experimentation) has disproved that the Earth is flat (observation). On the other hand, the bible has been neither proved nor disproved. While certain theories in the bible have been essentially disproved (creationism), there are some things we haven been unable to tell through. There are no tests to see whether or not Jesus Christ actually turned water into wine. Until there is clear proof that the bible is correct, we cannot categorize the shape of the Earth and the bible together and instead we would have to split it into two separate things, science and religion. The only time that the bible can move into the same category as the shape of the Earth (science) is after we can put more than just faith into the bible, and back it up with experimentation.
Thank you.
Thank you for commenting and I am proud of myself as well for growing in this hobby. Your comment reminded me of Life of Pi and the "Science V.S. Religion" theme that was seen throughout the novel and I agree with everything you said. There is a fine line between religious matters and scientific matters. I did not come up with this topic, but I do find it interesting to see what other people think about it. Thank you for your opinion!
DeleteAs a fellow blogger on writing, I find this post very informative and I agree with all of your points. In the future I'll try a change of atmosphere to get my creative juices flowing. Also, we are most definitely going somewhere cool at 2am when I can drive us both. Definitely.
ReplyDeleteIn response to your question: Like a scientific theory, I feel like the Bible grows with time. Are there things in the Bible that are wrong and were stated in accordance to the time and place? Yes. Are there also universal ideas and guidelines on how to love and live that can still be followed to this day? Absolutely. It's all a matter of perspective. I'm sure there are non-religious scholars who use the Bible as a reference on how to live a healthy life, minus the God part. As time goes on theories and pieces of writing will be disproven time and time again, but through all of the false, there will always be truths.
Let's go right now. Ahah, just kidding. But yes, we shall. That sounds so fun.
DeleteI agree with your point; the Bible does grow with time. People [pastors, in particular] expand more on the ideas written within the Bible and they form their own opinions whether or not they are religious.
First, I was amazed at your blog post. It was VERY thorough and made me want to pick up writing! So job well done.
ReplyDeleteVery interesting question. And Carrie brings up a good point, that the Bible may grow with time. Science changes, and is constantly disproving itself and improving itself. I believe that religion may be the same. Some people might not be willing to accept the changes, and that's why we have such a wide variety of religions. Now we know that the Earth is not flat, and there have also been many different translations of the Bible printed. Back then, resources were extremely limited to research whether or not the world was flat, which is a view now based on fact, whereas religion is based on faith. It's the relationship of fact vs. faith, which is really complex and hard to understand. I think the wide variety of differences that stems from the Bible and stems from the Earth being flat makes this "argument" or point not necessarily important. Yes the Bible was written by people who believed the world was flat, but they also made HUGE advances in other parts of the world. I believe these points may not necessarily cancel each other out, but they do bring up an interesting point. Thank you! (btw sorry for this huge rant haha)
Thank you for your comment, Rachel! I agree with your point of view. I had a science teacher a while ago who was Christian and he brought up the topic of fact versus faith. I also really like your point of the limited resources that they had back then. Thank you for reading and commenting your opinion!
Delete