Sunday, November 30, 2014

CAD Modeling: Introduction

For my first trials in 3D modeling I did what I usually do to test things out, jump right in and get a handle of things. An hour of angry clicking and dozens of errors later I decided to slow down and learn the basics first. After reading up a bit (almost all of it being setting up tools ~sigh~), I learned how to make basic lines and how to maneuver the camera, which was one of the hardest things to grasp surprisingly.

3D modeling on a 2D platform (computer screen) seems nearly impossible when thinking about it, and that is why "one of the most important features in SolidWorks is breaking the structure into different 2D models called sketches." (Tickoo location 250) These in addition to the different features, such as the hole wizard and the fillet tools, make the most important aspects of SolidWorks.
One of my first models, containing a front base, 2 boss extrudes, 2 fillets (fill-it not fill-ay) a shell, and steel material.



















While making the above structure I kept into account some things I learned someone I know that I asked about SolidWorks, the main advice was, never under-define an part. This means never to make a part that does not have full dimensions. as I looked over at what he was working at I saw "object not defined, 89 errors". So, keeping that advice in mind, you can see in the first test part I made had clear dimensions on it as to not make any more problems then need be in the future.

This part turned out exactly like it needed to look like as it was later built for robotics club. Robotics club is the main reason I want to learn CAD modeling right now so that brings up a question I want you guys to answer.

On the not of my angry clicking mentioned earlier I learned an important lesson, "sometimes you will get errors that make no sense and you can't seem to get them to go away, this is a "totaled" part and you are better off throwing these away and restarting then trying to get them to work" (Tickoo location 346) Turns out my angry clicking was just me getting unlucky, now I know that restarting that part would have taken me less time then if I had just restarted it.

What skill have you had to learn on your own for a club or a sport?

Works Cited
Tickoo, Sham. SolidWorks 2014: A Tutorial Approach. Schereville: CADCIM Technologies, 2014. Kindle eBook.

4 comments:

  1. Well it took me long enough but I finally found your post. This was the only one I could find so sorry about not commenting on a more recent one. To answer your question I learned how to double tongue and triple tongue for trombone so I could play notes faster without slowing down. I find this quite interesting as it seems like it wouldn't be as hard to do some things you said while it also seems like it would be easier to do other things. I also hope at some point to learn how to use Solidworks too. Hopefully before I graduate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all I apologize for not having tags on my blog posts, made you work for it did I? I've heard how hard double and triple tonging can be to learn and eventually become instinct so its nice to see that you have to motivation to do it on your own. About the camera being difficult, just remember about how oddly hard it is to place the cubes in Skyward Sword and you can get why the camera can be difficult to control.

      Delete
  2. Just wondering if you are starting to do the Cad modeling for robotics club. the people we have doing it right now are... hard to please. I find that when you have never tried to bulid what you are drawing out it becomes convoluted and way to hard to build. hopefully you can start to draw some of the things up so we don't have to explain to them why we cant drill a 1 inch hole through a half foot of steal. good luck on learning it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kyle, thanks for the interest. I am planning on CAD modeling for the robotics club in the future but probably only after taking a class on it. As mentioned earlier its important for the modelers and fabricators to understand how the other job works so they can work together. At the moment I am learning a small amount of CAD modeling to improve my abilities to connect with the designing side of robotics club. I will remain on fabrication side of robotics for at least the remainder of this year.

      Delete