Sunday, November 30, 2014

Songwriting... for dummies?

My book happens to be Songwriting for Dummies, so I'm not too sure about what that says for my intellectual levels. However, I thought it to be a humorous choice. I love music, and I have been musically involved in some way or another since the age of 3. However, actually finding the WORDS to write songs with has been something I've always struggled with. This book says if you have an emotional melody or a memorable thing happening for you, you can just start with random words. Eggs and bacon, for example. The specific words will come later. (Peterik 7-10)

Also, the general aura of the book seems to convey this feel-gooder attitude, going so far as to quote "When writing a song, if you're afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" (Boyle 15).
Personally I agree. I mean, where would some of these famous bands or singers be if they never broke out of the dull, lifeless crowd? 

*Due to the advice found inside the many wisdom filled pages of this tome, I have begun keeping a notebook with me for inspiration. Oh wait I already do that. Nevermind. Ummmmm... Best of luck to me?

2 comments:

  1. Have you written a song yet based off of the book you got?? And if so, how do you think you did? Did it work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good method they described, I'll have to try it out some time (I'm okay with poems but songs are hard). And yes, confidence is definitely key, and it's good you already have it :)

    ReplyDelete