Friday, November 28, 2014

Doughnuts



Doughnuts!!!

I personally struggle with eating on a daily basis because of the great number of foods that I can not eat due to allergies. Luckily this past weekend I was able to make a delicious treat, in the form of gluten-free and dairy-free doughnuts!

Me in my awesome pjs mixing the dough
The recipe called for mixing soy milk, sugar, eggs, and margarine all into a bowl. Next you mix gluten-free all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg into the first mixture (Dahlstrom 178). Make sure not to over mix the dough because if you do it will become dry and you won't be able to form the doughnuts.

You then fry the doughnuts in oil that is 350 degrees until they are golden brown. I also made a vanilla glaze which is made by, "in a small bowl combine 2 cups powdered sugar and 3 tablespoons of soy milk. Mix until creamy." (Dahlstrom 178).

The final product!


Citation:
Dahlstrom, Carol Field., Elizabeth Dahlstrom. Burnley, and Marcia Schultz. Dahlstrom. Gluten-free Made Simple: Easy Everyday Meals That Everyone Can Enjoy. New York: St. Martin's Griffin, 2011. Print.



6 comments:

  1. I think it's really cool that you can get around your allergies and eat food that is still good! I'll admit, with no food allergies I don't fully understand the struggle of finding things to eat that won't make you sick, but if you made a list of the things you couldn't eat, it would be very extensive. Gluten is found in certain grains, so not being able to ingest it, would rule out a lot of things. In this recipe you used substitutions for the things you can't ingest, does it make the food that you eat generally more healthy than if you didn't use the substitutions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for understanding Sydney! Yes most of the foods become healthier!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, your final product looks really yummy! How difficult it to find things that you can eat? Do you think that it has made you a healthier or better cook because of your circumstances?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bethany,
      It is very difficult for me to find food and most of my food has to be home made to ensure that I won't get a reaction. I do believe it has made me healthier but no guarantees that it has made me a better cook haha.

      Delete
  4. Did you ever burn yourself? Or did you have some experience frying?

    ReplyDelete